DIP STICK TUBE TIP (STOCK PAN )

Moderator: Moderators

DIP STICK TUBE TIP (STOCK PAN )

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:34 pm

AFTER A ENGINE SWAP. :arrow: THE TUBE THAT THE (DIP STICK) SIT'S IN,,, WILL BEND DURING AN INSTALL AND MOVING THE TUBE TO CLEAR THE HEADDER IT WILL BEND SOME MORE CAUSING THE DIP STICK TO BIND ON THE WAY IN AND OUT,,,, NOT WANTING'S TO SEAT.!!! :arrow: :idea: SO I TOOK A PAIR OF SHEETMETAL SNIP'S AND CUT A STEEPER ANGLE ON THE TIP (BOTH SIDE'S) SO THAT IT WOULD MAKE THE TURN'S OF THE BEND'S,,,, ALSO I WAS TOLD TO TRY A (F O R D) ROUND DIPSTICK AND MODIFY THE LENGHT AND MARKING'S MIKE 8) 8)
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

dipstick tube

Postby candipogo » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:41 pm

lokar and milodon ,to name a couple, both make a flexible dipstick tube set up for a small block chevy. they offer them with with the dipstick tube opening on either side of the block. these things are really worth the money when space is critical.
phil
phil leadford
candipogo

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:16 pm

CANDIPOGO; YEAH THAT IS CORRECT. :arrow: THE PEOPLE AT JEGS SENT ME THE "BLOCK" STYLE WHEN WE ORDERED AND ASKED THE TECH HELP IF IT WOULD FIT THE PAN.,,,, :arrow: AFTER I PLUGGED THE BLOCK AND HAD PLANNED TO USE THE ORIGINAL H-BODY PAN AND DIPSTICK WITH THE SANDERSON'S ANY WAY.,, MIKE
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 77 Spyder » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:23 pm

I have the same issue, But haven't got to the point were I need to address it yet. I have the stock pan & sandersons. The stock pan blocks off the passageway for the block dipstck, but boy that would be the ticket now with the sandersons!

I was thinking of bending the original, But haven't done anything yet.
77 Spyder

1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Sirshredalot » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:38 pm

Hey guys...lemme know what you think...if you think its redneck or sweet.

INstead of spending bookoo bucks at lokar for a trick dip stick I made my own.
I cut the factory dipstick off about 2 inches after the handle (both oil and tranny) and drilled 3 holes in it. After that I grabbed the longest zip-tie I could find and cut it to the factory dipstick length.
Then simply screwed it in place then epoxied around it.
After marking the fluid levels with a punch I was ready to go.

Now the dipsticks will take any bend i put them through and they are just as durable as the originals.

The zip ties can usually be bought at lowes or menards and are used for holding duct work in place.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:17 pm

I don't know, it might work but I would be concerned with the zip tie being affectd by the high oil temps and may start to deform or not stay in position. However, if you are using it in the stock V8 pan I suppose it really isn't sticking out too far past the pan so maybe it will be ok.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Engine Tech