new but old camshaft design?..opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Postby NixVegaGT » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:31 pm

I think we are up to 24 cents! lol. I think going with a little more lift is probably a good idea. The 327 is a different animal than the 350. The cylinder filling dynamics are different. The 327 should respond better with a less hot cam at higher RPM because the piston speed is more consistant than the 350. Because of this the 350 runs out of flame front sooner than the 327 so the heads need to be optimized differently. The 327 doesn't need as much relative port volume per RPM than the 350. The 327 will have more grace for poorly designed ports and will respond better to smaller ports than the 350, and will not respond well to large ports.

On the cam: the 327 will be grumpier with earlier exhaust opening than the 350. It doesn't need as 'hot' a cam as the 350 to make the same relative power.

I thought your idea of splitting the plennum on the tunnel ram was a good one. You can get away with the bigger carbs at lower RPM. You're right about the ram. It should actually increase lower RPM torque for the 327 It needs more lower air speed enertia than the 350 because the piston speed at and around TDC is slower. The 350 makes better low RPM vacuum and doesn't need the low speed enertia.

THis is a fun thread!
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Sirshredalot » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:31 pm

I DO have the 305 heads which are currently on the motor but I also and getting a set of pro-topline 180cc's

I used the 305 heads becuase they where what i had at the moment and REALLY wanted to fire the engine....plus they where a hop skip and a jump better than the smog 882's I also had....Ive got more smog heads sitting around that I know what to do with...they just come out of the wood work.

What really sucks is that a couple sets of them have new valve jobs and hardware...just no motor to call home.

Anywho...I am SO thrilled that you guys dig this thread...on any other forum where i even mention the tunnel ram I get shot down (a few guys chime in and try to help)(props to OldBogie).

I really do want to go with the 4.10's or 3.90's...we'll see how things turn out with the choice of rearend.
I have two diffs I might use....one with and one without disc-brakes.
the other rear-end has 3.73's and drums.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Troadster » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:57 pm

Good deal on the heads. I like solid lifter. Just something about the sound. If I ever rebuild my rod I will go solid, Wish I had the first time I built it. Doin't git me wrong the 268 that is in it now runs great. Just don't sound as good as a solid.
Troadster

Engines and Cams

Postby pobrien327 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:58 pm

Great discussion. I am an old school 327 guy.. so fun to hear the support! Most people go for the grunt with 388s and larger, but I love the winding up sound of the 283/302/ and 327. Hey NixVegaGT, we should hook up sometime since you live in MSP, MN
Pat
pobrien327

Postby Sirshredalot » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:21 pm

Yes..these cars are so light you dont need alot of torque...especially with the limited tire clearance in the stock wheel wells.

Plus the extra top end charge is alot more fun IMHO.
you just go and dont fry the tires.
Nothing better than the sound of a high winding small cube engine.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Troadster » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:06 pm

Sirshredalot wrote:Nothing better than the sound of a high winding small cube engine.

You got that right!!!!!! :twisted:
Troadster

Previous

Return to Engine Tech