Putting A/C into V8 Vega

Moderator: Moderators

Putting A/C into V8 Vega

Postby texasvega » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:46 pm

It's hot here in Texas, and although my Vega doesn't overheat in traffic, I sure do! Has anyone installed an AC system in a V8 wagon that did not come with air to begin with? I have found a V8 monza with all the A/C firewall stuff (sans compressor) and know the location of at least 3-4 vegas with their complete systems intact.
Would I be better off with an aftermarket system? Not afraid to spend money, but don't like wasting it. I have the front motor mounts with 2129 Hookers, driver side alt, no power steering.
Anyone been down this road before? Pics would be awesome.
Thanks, Michael
texasvega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby v8astregt » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:49 am

I certainly wouldn't use the factory box. The aftermarket boxes from companies like Vintage Air cool so much better, and do it all in a smaller package that fits under the dash. That way you can run a smooth firewall and not have any more clutter than you need. The only issue I can imagine is whether there is room for the V8, and the condensor, and compressor/brackets. That would be the hardest part.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Return to Engine Tech