olds power swap

Moderator: Moderators

widcat tranny options

Postby mldeolde » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:57 am

don't know about the straight cut gears for a saginaw but you could pick up a muncie for a couple of hundred dollars for a M-21 or M-20 and they will handle 300 hp easy and for about 550.00-600.00 you can get a gear set to convert it to M-22 specs and they will handle a really substancial amount of hp and tork without having to create a moth breeding habitat out of your wallet. my m-21 in my 69 Z-28 easily handled the 400+ HP it put out and was one of the smoothest shifting trannys i have ever used. just food for thought from the original cheepy!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby Sirshredalot » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:44 pm

I dunno if youve priced muncies lately...but even used ones...thrashed ones are going in the 500-600 dollar range...which is just too much.
Ive been looking for a muncie for a few years now on and off....swap meet prices just keep going up and up for the same parts that they didnt sell last year cause theyre prices where too high.

Heck...even look at saginaw prices on ebay....going for 500's also....for a saginaw?
Im a saginaw fan...dont get me wrong...but theyre def no muncie.

And no...they do not make a straight cut gear set for a saginaw.
I wish they made more parts for them because theyre good trannies for light cars....great ratios.

But if you want the straight gear whine...than your best bet is to get an M21 or M20 and get the conversion gearset.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

muncies on e-bay

Postby mldeolde » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:28 pm

there are a couple of them on e-bay right now . one for 255.00 and an early 7/8 " shaft one for 128.00 with not to much time left on the auction. they do come up you just have to be a little patient and do your home work and spend the time to search a real deal. :wink:
mldeolde

Postby Sirshredalot » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:41 pm

IN the last three minutes theyll jump to $400 at least...I'll bet you a smile.

Bidding fever strikes.

God bless
Shred

-PS: is your screen name standing for "moldy oldie"?...Mldeolde
I dont mean any disrespect but it just looks that way to me....Funny.
And your car is awesome.
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby mldeolde » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:29 pm

YES IT IS AND YES I AM AT ABOUT 56 YRS OLD I AM A MOLDE OLDE AND SO IS MY CAR. DEFINATLY NO OFFENCE TAKEN .ON TOP OF THAT I'M A REAL CHEAPEE TO .I'lL SHOP FOR YEARS TILL I FIND A DEAL I CAN LIVE WITH. NOW THAT'S CHEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and why it's taking me so long to finnish my car the way i believe it should be.
mldeolde

Postby eskmf5 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:26 pm

What did you use for Motor mounts on the motor and frame mount?? What did it take to mount the 307 ,tranny wise ? Did it work with a regular v6 bellhousing?I know automatic you could use ths BOPC tranny's.But we'd like to know about Olds v8 bellhousing. Eric
Eric!(eskmf5@aol)
eskmf5

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby twinspunmonza » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:45 pm

I used a custom built aluminum front mount plate and steel rear plate on both engines. the trans that was behind the 307 was a b.o.p 350 turbo set in factory location on the cross member. I completly removed the k member and lowered the whole steering system and additional 1.5" . then custom made some frame supports to tie the lower control arms back together. came off of the support with additional bars to help keep the frame from spreading open. the reason i removed the k member all together and made a custom piece is because the olds engines are taller then what chevy's are. And to get the engin to sit down farther and level it was required .
twinspunmonza

Previous

Return to Engine Tech