Performed my own Mr. Gasket Thermostat test

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Performed my own Mr. Gasket Thermostat test

Postby spyder_xlch » Wed May 28, 2008 7:41 pm

Scott, that just goes to show you never know when an electrical part will go bad and you can't assume a new one is good just because it's new or name brand. Same way with a thermostat. You might have one that's 5 years old and you figure it's time to change it so you do. That old thermostat might have lasted another 15 years. The new one might not work at all. You just never know. It's so easy to test a thermostat and (on older cars like ours) is easy to get to.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby patrick1151 » Fri May 30, 2008 1:56 am

I finally got around to installing my new Stant 180* thermostat in my car today. I tested it first, dumping it in a pot of boiling water and it opened right up, right away. I had no way to actually test the water temperature of the pot but it was boiling pretty good.
patrick1151

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby Astre-mutt » Fri May 30, 2008 2:00 pm

[quote="patrick1151"]I finally got around to installing my new Stant 180* thermostat in my car today. I tested it first, dumping it in a pot of boiling water and it opened right up, right away. I had no way to actually test the water temperature of the pot but it was boiling pretty good.[/quote

Water boils at 200 degrees. You should have put the thermostat in the water before it boils. As long as it opens before 200 degrees, your 180 would be good.

At least you know it opens. Right Josh? :lol:
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby v8astregt » Fri May 30, 2008 3:18 pm

If I remember my thermodynamics properly, I think water actually boils at 212*, so heavily boiling water isn't the best indicator... best to get a thermometer and check the temp. I know my one thermostat didn't open at a full boil, which explains why my gauge went straight to 240* and wouldn't cool no matter how much I sprayed the radiator, or how fast I drove.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby cjbiagi » Fri May 30, 2008 7:02 pm

I am using a Robertshaw hi flow thermostat. Seems to work fine.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby SunbirdMan » Fri May 30, 2008 7:14 pm

Clyde, rumor is that Mr Gasket and Robert Shaw are the same. I went to Robert Shaws website and can't find any evidence that they are still making automotive t-stats. Flowcooler sells Robertshaw and Stewart has a modified version, but I couldn't find any stores around here that sell them under that name.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby cjbiagi » Fri May 30, 2008 8:45 pm

Hmmm, ok, well I think that's what is is but can't be positive. I know I did get a "high flow" one and at 160 degrees it seems to keep things pretty cool. I actually installed this before I got the Griffin aluminum, so it's been in there quite a while. I think it's certainly good insurance whenever replacing a thermostat to test it with a quality thermometer before installing it based on these comments.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby spyder_xlch » Fri May 30, 2008 10:19 pm

v8astregt wrote:If I remember my thermodynamics properly, I think water actually boils at 212*
If you want to get technical water boils at 212° at sea level. Don't ask me what a rise in altitude does for the boiling point.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Astre-mutt » Fri May 30, 2008 10:32 pm

spyder_xlch wrote:
v8astregt wrote:If I remember my thermodynamics properly, I think water actually boils at 212*
If you want to get technical water boils at 212° at sea level. Don't ask me what a rise in altitude does for the boiling point.

In Denver it's 202 degrees. So when I said 200 technically I was wrong in only 75% of the country. (if you can give me 2 degrees of slack)
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby spyder_xlch » Fri May 30, 2008 10:42 pm

So I guess every mile above sea level lowers the boiling point 10°. Speaking of Denver, if you live there and have sex are you in the mile high club?
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby OldsStarfire » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:32 pm

"In Denver it's 202 degrees. So when I said 200 technically I was wrong in only 75% of the country."

Thats F'n funny !
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby mldeolde » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:02 pm

only if you are in a plane but in this case, due to a technicality, you could make a case for it even if the plane was only on the taxiway. usually the party doesn't start that early due to the pilots insisting on every one having thier seatbelts on during taxi and take off. darn party poopers!!!!!!!!! :dance:
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby monzabug350 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:29 pm

Just a few old school tricks for t-stats. Start eng,let it idle and warm up.feel top hose/bottom hose.Bottom hot,top cold,temp gauge reading hot,check t-stat.(after cool down) Second trick: Remove rad cap,start eng let idle,watch coolant and temp gauge,if gauge reads hot,and water isnt moving,check t-stat. Ive had good luck with Stants,and OEM units,and I dont trust much of any thing made outside the U.S. I bought a rear tranny mount from Advance Auto a while back,took it out of the box at the counter and that thing was the UGGGGLLLLLYYYYESSSST POS I had ever seen! The parts man goes"DDDDDAAAAAAMMMMM!!!" So I got a Moog unit (10$more) and it was beautiful ! As the saying goes, dont assume its ok,CHECK IT! Oh yeah,if you are going to buy electrical parts take a dvom with you and check it before you pay for it,saves you another trip to the store.Last of all read the print on the box,some say made in USA,thats the box,not whats inside.
monzabug350

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Postby lincolnolli » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:24 pm

Honestly,i'm so p...d with all the thermostats over the years that i run restrictors
in all my cars.Most of the time 0.010 smaller than a gutted thermostat does the trick for me.

Ollie
lincolnolli

PreviousNext

Return to Engine Tech