My Ron Davis radiator install! (+ updated pics!!!!)

Moderator: Moderators

My Ron Davis radiator install! (+ updated pics!!!!)

Postby v8astregt » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:58 pm

So some of you seemed to have doubted me being able to install a 26"x19" Ron Davis aluminum radiator in my Astre! Well I knew my measurements were good, so I bought it anyways. I started to fiddle around with it tonight and took a few pictures.

I took the old radiator out and removed all the factory mounts. I set the new radiator into place and saw that I only needed to grind about 1/2" out of the K-members... not really into the structural part, but I'll strengthen it later. I did a rough cut and here's where I'm at now.

*SOME PICS CLEARED OUT DUE TO REDUNDANCY, AND WASTED SPACE... SEE NEW PICS A COUPLE POSTS DOWN*

Right now, if I drop it about 2", I'll be in hog heaven. It sits exactly flat with the bottom of the core support as it is. 2" sticking down will be hardly noticable, and will allow the hood to close. This gives me a full 7" more radiator area. 4-5" of which may be covered by the core support, but the extra capacity will help a lot. When I pulled the old one out I couldn't believe I expected it to cool a 440 horse 355!!!
:shock:

That's all for now. I'll work on it again in the morning.
Last edited by v8astregt on Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby markl » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:07 am

Thanks for posting pics! I bought a Griffin 19X22 I'll be installing in my 76 vega, which I was told be be more than enough to cool a 350. I'll be posting pics when I get around to putting it in.
markl

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby DEMON Precision » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:43 am

thanx for posting images and info , could you post the PN# for the rad ?

thanx

mikey
DEMON Precision

Postby v8astregt » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:56 pm

It is part # 1A-26193

on Ron Davis' website: http://www.rondavisradiators.com/Radiators.htm

Ironically, Ron Davis didn't have it in stock, which I was hoping for since they are local to me. But they directed me to Speedway Motors who had if for $40 cheaper anyways! $210.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby v8astregt » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:36 am

Well today, I took the two front K-member braces out so I can modify them to fit the radiator. Luckily since the bottom of this radiator tapers, it saves me from doing a LOT of cutting. With those braces out, the radiator dropped right into place. The only modifications I had to do was hammer in the left frame rail a tad, and grind a little off the one mounting ear for the K-member brace on the passenger's side, nothing big at all.

So I positioned the radiator where I wanted to, and was able to mark where I needed to position the mounting brackets (Speedway Motors... $15 + $5 pads). I'll have to fabricate upper brackets which I'll do next week. But I'm satisfied. I also mounted the radiator a tad higher, so now my fan has excellent coverage, and doesn't hang off the top and bottom like with the last radiator. The lower hose outlet is not on the bottom of the tank because of the taper, but is about 3" higher which is perfect, since it allows for a sway bar to run in the factory spot. I can even reuse the lower hose, which is glad cause anything to make this easier is a plus. I'm gonna have to move my alternator to the passenger side since the inlet points right at it, but no biggie... got a $10 bracket in the mail from Summit. Because I'm doing that, I will have to relocate the battery... a little sooner than I wanted, but oh well... I was gonna do it someday.

As you can see, it does hang down 2", which doesn't look bad actually since it's purdy alumiminum! But I'm thinking the valence might cover some of it, but either way, I'm gonna fabricate a protective screen.

Well that's all for today folks! I may do more this weekend... I was gonna drill tonight, but after spending 30 minutes looking for the damned drill chuck key at 8pm and sweating my ass off while doing it (105* at 8pm!!!!!), I decided to say to hell with it, there's always the weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
v8astregt

Postby SunbirdMan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:05 am

Josh,
I noticed you have a plastic fan. There was some talk awhile back about these fans flexing forward as they pull air at high rpm. Damage can occur to the radiator if they are too close. I thought you might need a heads up to that possibility.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby v8astregt » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:31 pm

Do they now?

Thanks for the heads up. I got that fan because it was really... really close to the radiator before. Will a steel flex fan not flex as much? I've got a little more room now.
v8astregt

Postby SunbirdMan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:36 pm

If you got more room than you did before it may be fine. I'm not sure what brand has a problem, but when you get it all back together you might want to watch the fan as you bring up the revs and see if it starts pulling forward.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby Bacchus » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:56 pm

I think I have the same fan on mine. I have a 4-core Monza radiator in my vega. There is not enough room between the nuts that hold it on and the radiator to get the fan belt off (i.e. it is VERY close). I have revved it, in the car, to probably 6000RPM and it did not hit the radiator.
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby v8astregt » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:48 pm

I've got a plastic Flex-a-lite fan. It "says" good to 8k.

Will a steel one flex forward less?
v8astregt

Postby therick215 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:24 pm

Just my 2 cents. I don't like the plastic/fiberglass fans seen about 6 of them come apart. The last one was about 6 weeks ago. A guy at work was setting up an engine and when he revved it the fan came apart and took out the fan shoud and then sent the pieces into his face. Broke his glasses into his eye and cut up his brow. He now has a blind spot in his left eye. Doctor told him if not for the glasses he would have lost the eye. Guys please always wear safety glasses no matter what you are doing.
Rick
therick215

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby Bacchus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:26 am

therick215 wrote:Just my 2 cents. I don't like the plastic/fiberglass fans seen about 6 of them come apart. The last one was about 6 weeks ago. A guy at work was setting up an engine and when he revved it the fan came apart and took out the fan shoud and then sent the pieces into his face. Broke his glasses into his eye and cut up his brow. He now has a blind spot in his left eye. Doctor told him if not for the glasses he would have lost the eye. Guys please always wear safety glasses no matter what you are doing.
Rick

That sucks. However, these are one-piece fans and they can't come apart. They are stronger than steel and only have one-piece. The multi-piece "flex" fans are junk.
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Radiator

Postby bigwheelbigdeal » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:08 pm

I have tried most fans over the years. The only one that is worth a crap in my opinion is the Factory 7 blade v8 Monza. It will move twice the air that that fiberglass crap will and Never come apart. It also won't flex forward!
Just a heads up---if you have a torque arm rear end in it the tranny mount better be good because the arm will lift the rear of the trans and tilt the Fan into the radiator!! I have a loose ( 1/8") chain that drops down from the tailshaft housing to the crossmember to make sure I don't tilt the motor. The car runs 10's.
Roy
77 454 2+2 Monza
79 502 Malibu Classic
79 267 Malibu Classic
86 4.3 El Camino
91 406 Z-28 Camaro
75 406 T.C. Monza
94 Yamaha Virago
bigwheelbigdeal

Return to Engine Tech