Oil pan mods

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Oil pan mods

Postby AusRs » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:55 am

thanks for the instructions again :)

Only thing i do not undestand is the H body sump has a "bump "in it that is 2 3/8 " to clear the steering .suppose the only answer is to cut the oil pan and trial fit it in to the engine bay and see if it works ok
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby AusRs » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:59 am

Ok
I cut the oil pan thought i would post some pics as someday it may help someone else out later

Step 1
decided to mod the one piece rear seal sump as per the instructions posted on the thread

step 2 mark out the area to cut

step 3 cut (pics of cut bits )

step 4 ,roll the cut edge a little (not in the instructions but i think it needed it

sounds simple enough BUT with the vortec engine i bought it has a "tray " bolted to the caps which was longer than the cut piece ,so i trimmed that off as well .......if i should just unbolt it and throw it away please tell me !

anyway thats it for now ,i will weld up the pan and post up finished pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AusRs

Postby 73astregt » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:29 pm

just be carefull of the inner tie rod grease nipple. on my car the original right side inner tie rod had the grease nipple in the side of the rod and it would hit the side of the pan on hard right turns, almost poked a hole in the pan(i have the moroso vega pan) i just removed the nipple and plugged the hole with a little rubber stopper(something i found laying around). when i did my s10 spindal conversion i put all new moog front end parts on and the grease nipple on the right inner tie rod was not in the same spot, it was in the cap of the joint like most are and negated the nipple to pan problem. im not shure wich one your car might have just something to watch out for, good luck! i hope the new motor is a big improvement for you! :th:
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby AusRs » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:53 am

Thanks for the heads up on the "nipple issue" i rolled the edge of the pan over a touch ,kind of positioned the sump in place with the patch panel tacked in place (finger under pan ,appears there is enough clearance on it :) .....I understand now why the stroker motor could be a real issue on a H body !
Now all i have to do is get a decent welder round to weld it in ...........i do not trust my welding enough as i think a leaking oil pan due to porosity is not something i would like to have ...tomorrow night it will be done !
AusRs

Postby AusRs » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:24 am

engine is in and i have about 3 mm clearance on the oil pan at full lock
Thanks for all the help ,actually found with this car it was easier to take the engine out without the gearbox attached as bolts were all easy to get at !
AusRs

Postby AusRs » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:47 pm

one last thing IF anyone else fits a vortec engine in to a H body
One of the bolts that hold the timing case cover in place needs the head cut almost off to clear the short water pump we use !
AusRs

Postby AusRs » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:09 am

all is fitted and the engine has run and been tuned (will take it back after 1000 kilometers for a re tune
carb was re jetted all is now good
even as a new engine this one feels so much stronger than the old one ever did :):):)
AusRs

Postby vegastre » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:59 pm

Sweet!
I am jealous. I have been following your oil pan thread with interest as I modified mine and like you I thought it was a simple deal. Big laugh here. I had well over fifteen hours in after all was said and done.

(1) Trimmed the pan all the way back to the rear sump.
(2) Added a windage flap.
(3) Deepened the pan by a quart.
(4) Substituted a BB oil pump.
(5) Extended the oil tube pick up and welded it to the pump.

Sort of ugly but to me it’s a freakin’ work of art =)
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Previous

Return to Engine Tech