72 Vega Emissions Equipment

Moderator: Moderators

72 Vega Emissions Equipment

Postby OldGuy 72Vega » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:46 am

Here in Ontario Canada, if you install a newer engine into an older vehicle, the emission equipment must comply with the year of the engine. If the engine is older or the same year as the vehicle, then the emission equipment must comply to the year of the vehicle. Stupid Yes, but that's the law here. :bang: The emission police (Ministry of the Enviroment) have actually been going around to car shows and car gatherings and handing out fines to people for their cars not being in compliance with the emission laws. :rolleyes:
So my question is, What emission equipment if any, did the 72 Vega come with? Eg. PVC, Charcoal Cannister, etc. :mrgreen:
Joe
OldGuy 72Vega

Re: 72 Vega Emissions Equipment

Postby kgroombr » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:58 pm

All 72 Vegas shipped with a charcoal canister. Some were equipped with and air injection (California emissions). I have a 72 Vega that was sold in Texas that had air injection. I probably would have kept it on but the head had was shot and the replacement head (from another 72 Vega) didn't have the port for the air injection. I kept all the brackets, air pump, and stuff just in case. Kinda neat to have.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby mastiff » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:19 am

Could you make or have a sticker that looks like GM made it. install a charcoal canister looking bottle with one hose running to bottom of carb. have a fake plug on carb. and list emmisions for the size engine you have. least wise if they are looking at it when your at a show, they see a sticker and you look compliant :D
Doug
(Mastiff)
mastiff

Postby mastiff » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:29 am

Almost forgot. that might not work for say camaro or other poular cars. but H-bodies are not that common anymore, so what are the odds they would know.
Doug
(Mastiff)
mastiff

Postby 73astregt » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 am

what car show did you see them at? ive been to several and havent seen any mto guys or anything,ive even had cops ask me about my car but they are just car guys into old cars. usually unless you are being really stupid driving the cops dont bother with the guy with the old car they are more after the young guy driving the fast and furious hondas and other import tuners.i have many cops that come for tires at the shop and they themselves say they dont bother with the older stuff but drive a ricer down the road with a fart can out the back and they say they automatically will pull em over and give them the gears for emissions compliance cause they KNOWthey are the ones causing shit on the roads. us old farts they just say NICE CAR! ive heard no one complain theyve been given a hassle with an old car.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby OldGuy 72Vega » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:22 pm

73astregt wrote:what car show did you see them at? ive been to several and havent seen any mto guys or anything,ive even had cops ask me about my car but they are just car guys into old cars. usually unless you are being really stupid driving the cops dont bother with the guy with the old car they are more after the young guy driving the fast and furious hondas and other import tuners.i have many cops that come for tires at the shop and they themselves say they dont bother with the older stuff but drive a ricer down the road with a fart can out the back and they say they automatically will pull em over and give them the gears for emissions compliance cause they KNOWthey are the ones causing shit on the roads. us old farts they just say NICE CAR! ive heard no one complain theyve been given a hassle with an old car.

It's not the MTO or Police that you have to worry about. It's the Drive Clean guys (MOE). They check engine numbers and have a data base to check what year the engine is. They also have a huge data base on vehicle emission requirements. :shock: When in doubt, I'm told that you get the ticket and have to go to court to prove otherwise. More of a guilty untill you prove you're innocent deal. :bang:
I have heard of people up Keswick way getting nailed as well as people in southern Ontario area. I have talked to guys out west and they see the same thing happening. Remember, these people hate our old cars and want them off the road. Ontario is presently working on amending the car import laws to prevent us from bringing older vehicles into the province. If you are thinking about an LS swap, you will need most of the contrlols to make the engine run, just don't forget the CATS and total EVAP system.
Joe
OldGuy 72Vega

Postby 73astregt » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:18 pm

if you want i have a shop manual for 72 vegas ill sell for 25.00 you can stop by and pick it up if youre not too far away. im in scarborough pm me and ill shoot you the address. as far as the moe guys go theyre either gonna make a killing at the car shows or they are gonna get stomped into the pavement as i dont think ive seen anyone unless its an all original bone stock classic car that would be emissions compliant even by a visual inspection and even a lot of those have at least headers on em with no air tubes,smog pumps or cats. i pulled out most of my hair trying to find the emissions stuff for the astre when i first put it together cause of these moe guy rumors piss on em ill deal with them if i see em :wink: ive driven the car to angus (camp borden)brightonont(the monzaque)and even bancroft ont and never been bothered by anyone. vega? astre? monza? whats that?
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby OldGuy 72Vega » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:46 pm

73astregt wrote:if you want i have a shop manual for 72 vegas ill sell for 25.00 you can stop by and pick it up if youre not too far away. im in scarborough pm me and ill shoot you the address. as far as the moe guys go theyre either gonna make a killing at the car shows or they are gonna get stomped into the pavement as i dont think ive seen anyone unless its an all original bone stock classic car that would be emissions compliant even by a visual inspection and even a lot of those have at least headers on em with no air tubes,smog pumps or cats. i pulled out most of my hair trying to find the emissions stuff for the astre when i first put it together cause of these moe guy rumors piss on em ill deal with them if i see em :wink: ive driven the car to angus (camp borden)brightonont(the monzaque)and even bancroft ont and never been bothered by anyone. vega? astre? monza? whats that?

Good Points. Why worry about a meteor till it hits ya. :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Joe
OldGuy 72Vega

Postby 73astregt » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:46 pm

i had a look at that shop manual and it does have a section on emission controls. as said pm me if you want it.
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby tony1963 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:45 pm

The greenhouse gas emissions from the guy writing the tickets is greater than the occasional use of your vehicle. Thank God that I don't live in Canada. Idiots.
tony1963

Postby Astre-mutt » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:19 pm

So what year engine do you have in the car? If a 72 Vega came with EGR & PVC, then that's what was on the engine, not the car. I don't believe that the vapor canister had anything to do with emissions.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:38 pm

The vapor canister is responsible for absorbing gas fumes from the tank and then burning them when the engine is started. It is strictly an emission control piece.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby SeniorSavage » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:28 pm

Last edited by SeniorSavage on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The fleet;
1975 Buick Skyhawk 3.8 V6 turbo - total restore ongoing (soon!)
1996 Fleetwood Bounder 36' Ford 460 TBI motorhome
2004 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 88ci 1450cc. - custom original.
2005 Ford 500 Limited (wife's car) - working original.
2006 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT LS VorTec 4200
SeniorSavage

1975 Buick Skyhawk

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:01 pm

I think he was referring to the "emission police" or whatever they are called, not all Canadians.............We love the Canadians :th:
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 76wagon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:44 pm

I know I'm a bit late but when I got pulled over for "not turning on my headlights" in the daytime :cuss: I got talking to the cop, asking about loopholes, etc. He told me if you can't buy a part brand new at a GM dealer you get a pass (smog pump for a '76 Vega is discontinued yay!) just get a letter from the dealer saying the part is discontinued and you're good

While on my way to the cop station to get my $400 ticket (around the corner) I was pulled over AGAIN for no reason other than my car is old. Second cop was a bit of a dick.... Guy ahead of me had an '80s fire chicken and didn't have cats and they pulled his plates. They went over my car with a fine tooth comb, were impressed with how well I keep it and charged me with missing 1 piece of emissions equipment (I was missing at least 4) and while the cop was writing me a ticket he proceeds to tell me about HIS old car (some car guy :? )

On another note my friend who was with me made a joke about them staking out the VW show that was going on around the corner and the one cop got REALLY pissed. Guess he didn't like being called out on his BS....

Phill
76wagon

Next

Return to Engine Tech