Trans Dapt v8 kit--yikes

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Trans Dapt v8 kit--yikes

Postby 77irishwagon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Motor, headers and transmission are all installed. Shifter is installed and also got the radiator situation figured out. Im running the prostock jegs radiator. Image

It was the only one that I could find to clear the powersteering box. 22 inch width
wagon motor install.jpg

jess shifter install.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
77irishwagon

1977 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby thefatguy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Rickracer wrote:........... You couldn't PAY me to run a Sanderson header... :? 8)

yep, agree with you there dude--took me 3 days of beating and bashing to fit those :censored: in there...and now the exhaust shops want to rip us off for over $800.00 to run the headpipes and mufflers with over the axle tailpipes--thats not even stainless . and i got my own mufflers,tubing,etc--thats just labor !!! looks like i may be ripping them off and running the stock manifold with premade headpipes.......
thefatguy

1975 Pontiac Astre

Postby reconscout » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:24 pm

I have a similar set up. I was using a 400 block stroked to a 415 and used a real nice milidon pan. I had clearance problems too, but wanted the pan for clearance of the crank/ rods. So I used square washers for a long time that were about 1/8'' thick each and just stacked about 4 each side and used the rubber motor mounts that the metal on one side. The rubber was worn out and was one of the reason to use so many washers.
But then you end up hitting the trans tunnel/ fire wall. I forget the part number, but I got new ones from autozone and they were for a jeep.
Eventually I changed to a 350 block with standard stroke, so I went with the moroso Vega oil pan. Much better fit! the steering linkage can move without rubbing, and I'm not hitting the firewall / tunnel anymore. If you can afford the switch, I'd use the moroso pan, and maybe sell the milidon to someone local to help pay for it maybe.
The brackets for the alternator were just welded on to the motor mounts.
I also have a similar radiator. We are odd balls here, because you and I have the in and out on the same side which isnt like the majority of chevy's. You can run into issues with your cooling. If you could, I would suggest putting the alternator on the drivers side. Otherwise, I had to get creative with the radiator hose. The thermostat housing had to come the other direction and the alternator is in the way. I was having cooling problems untill I cut my hose and installed a filler so I could add water at the highest point.

Do you have a transmission cooler in the radiator? And what style fan are you planning on using?
reconscout

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby chevy art » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:18 pm

sure looks to me like the holes in the front mount(2 1/2 inch bolts) were drilled more towards the front of the mount, which would cause the engine to be back further towards the firewall and causing a real clearance problem. with transd tunnel. i have 2 of these mounts and the 1/2 inch holes are in the middle of the mount itself. photos of the red mount and the black mount just look that way. maybe a bad angle when photo was taken?. also the miledon and moroso pans give the same clearance. at center link. i have both of those pans. if you got that much more clearance with one pan over the other,you must have added more rubber shims, which leads to other clearance problems ( header clearance around lower control arms, header to steering shaft, drivetrain angle, and more) art
chevy art

Postby reconscout » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Good point ART, I never thought of the holes being forward pushing the motor back. I did have some problems with the lower control arm hitting the headers, and my steering hitting the header before I switched out the rubber motor mounts and using the washers. I want to point out that I had the 415 in a camaro long before I knew what a Vega was, and it was the milidon part #30908 to clear a 3.875'' stroke, and not the Vega pan. Spent a good a mount on it and didn't want to let it go so a few bucks in spacers and some grinding on the control is the way I went. But with a completely different motor in now, with the correct pan and just two of those rubber mounts each side I don't have any problems with the steering, headers, or trans tunnel.
reconscout

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby chevy art » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:48 am

hey recon is the engine(centerline) level or near leve3l. (dont try to level off the intake because most times they are ground out of level ) to compensate for an out of level engine(that sound stupid, but thats what happens). when you jack up front of engine the rear of tranny has to come up accordingly so you can get close to level and from therer establish the correct pinion angle. thats another story. art
chevy art

Postby 77irishwagon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Getting closer
motor 021912.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
77irishwagon

1977 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby brody2855 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:03 pm

I had the trans dapt kit and threw it away,now I purchased pwerbyace moter mounts for my 73 vega with a sbc and also purchased the trans cross member and every thing worked out great.
brody2855

Previous

Return to Engine Tech