starter problems

Moderator: Moderators

starter problems

Postby robson » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:17 pm

I have a 1973 chev.350 engine in my 1978 monza with an automatic tranny. The starter keeps breaking (Cracking) is this improper starter alienment or something else? I need advise quickly. thanks.
robson

Re: starter problems

Postby duckblaster67 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Usually that happens when the engine kicks back ( like when the distributor is off a tooth).
duckblaster67

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Can you describe what is breaking and what type of starter you have, stock or aftermarket? One thing that is very important is to check the gear mesh between the starter and flywheel or ring gear. If you just bolt it on without checking this you could be asking for trouble. The gears need to have the correct backlash just like rearend gears. If it is too tight it may not be able to disengage after the engine starts and if it is too loose you can lose a gear because you don't have enough contact area. Starters are generally very reliable, if you are breaking them there is a reason. If the engine is kicking back as mentioned earlier that can also be a problem. Give us some more details.........
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:35 pm

The rear support (towards the front of the engine) can be very important as well if you have a high cylinder pressure on crank that would apply to the old school full size starter I don't know if they use these on the "mini" starters Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cammerjeff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:44 am

Monza Harry wrote:The rear support (towards the front of the engine) can be very important as well if you have a high cylinder pressure on crank that would apply to the old school full size starter I don't know if they use these on the "mini" starters Harry

X2 on checking to see if the Sterter hase a front support bracket, I have broke a couple of cast noses on Pontiac OHC-6 Starters over the years, and both were missing the front support bracket!!!!
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby robson » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:10 pm

I have bought a mini starter and I am taking it slowly on this installation. Checked the timing and it seems ok. Also on another blog there are others that say the new end cones on the rebuilt starters are may out of thin junk material and break easily, thanks for the support, and I will get my '78 Chev monza 2+2 spyder on the road. I got the axles changed and thanks to everyone for the tech info on the axles and rotor redrilling for 5 lugs. Its been a while since I worked on cars so please bear with me.
robson

Return to Engine Tech