Grease Fittings need alteration on V-8 swaps...

Moderator: Moderators

Grease Fittings need alteration on V-8 swaps...

Postby Sunula66 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:32 pm

A really important foot note to those of you with clearance issues...through trial and error, when I turned my steering lock to lock, it was discovered that the inner tie rod grease fittings would puncture the side of the oil pan! this will happen to a lot of those of you doing a V-8 swap from other smaller power plants. Make sure that you install turned down 90 degree grease fittings on the inner tie rod ends and then turn lock to lock checking clearances...a stock 2 step oil pan can be used but the centre link will almost rub as well so by installing 2 small quarter inch spacer blocks of steel between the engine mounts and frame mounts, you'll gain the necessary distance for the centre link and a little bit of room for the stock pan and tie rod ends with curved grease fittings! GOOD LUCK with Your BUILD!!! :th:
.....another fix would be to install inner tie rod ends with the rearward facing grease fittings not always available, or the greaseless ends, not recommended. Ron.
"remember... not everything is good on TOAST!"
3 Birds of a Feather...
#1 the Silver '80 W-66 code Formula purchased 9 years ago
#2 red "80 W-66 code Formula purchased Mar./16
#3 black '78-9 coupe with spoiler kit and 4spd 305...parted out to a Terrific H-Buddy
2015 Cruze Turbo Diesel/ Just replaced by the 2016 Sonic
'98 GMC 1/2 ton with corporate 3/4 ton driveline still makin' it all possible
Sunula66

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Re: Grease Fittings need alteration on V-8 swaps...

Postby chevyart » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:16 pm

good point 66. i didnt know they made right angle fittings. i think it was moog that had the inners with the grease fitting in back side. what do you think of idea of greasing the ends, removing the fitting and putting\ in an allen, key type of fitting with a flat top. if need to grease again. put in regular firttng for grease job and remove again. anyone know what that thread size is.? i think it is a weird size. art
chevyart

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:47 pm

I have right angle ones on my car but I can still see a small mark on the oil pan. I guess I should do something with that while I am under there reconnecting the centerlink. There are also stops on the chassis that the spindles hit at full lock, I suppose you could add something on to the stops to limit the travel slightly. Getting to those inner grease fitting is already a pain, not sure I want to remove them each time although I only grease them once a year.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 73astregt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:10 pm

art is right i used moog stock vega tie rod ends on my astre when i did the s10 brake swap the grease fitting is in the back cover where it will not interfere with the oil pan. if i would not have had the moog parts i would have greased the fittings and plugged them off to insure there was no interference with the pan.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby Sunula66 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:27 pm

Hey Fred, I think you were the one that actually gave me the "heads-up" about this I think...I was just lucky that we had fittings in the shop where the engine swap took place. I'd like to replace them some day when needed with the rear style fittings....it's really kool that even little stuff like this is an extremely important thing that could cause a lot of damage and kool meaning that everybody seems to go through similar problems as these cars whether Monza, Sunbird or Astre and Vega, these types of things don't change...a nice aluminum oil pan or even the engine oil seeping from a crack could be the end for a lot of hard work and even an engine!!
This post is important enough to put in the "Best of" column I think.....
3 Birds of a Feather...
#3 black '78-9 coupe with spoiler kit and 4spd 305...parted out to a Terrific H-Buddy
Sunula66

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi Art the OEM tie rods should have a 1/4-28 NF thread (fine), if they are a new replacement they could be 6mm as many newer ones even for our "classic"rides are being made with the metric fittings kind of a Crap shoot Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby chevyart » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:00 am

thanks Harry. i will see about those 2 different thread sizes in little threaded screws with flat heads that will be tightened with an allen key. i then can grease with regular fittings and then remove them and put in the flat headed screws. art
chevyart

Postby Sunula66 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:19 am

I just remembered guys, the end plugs for tubing on copper and steel line such as brake-line have threaded plug style hardware already utilizable for this idea...almost like a wedge style pipe thread plug!...oh and air line stock...I just thought of that with the air lines and hardware on the big trucks....just have to try different thread sizes like Harry was saying :th: ....the local feed stores and co-op's and some of the other small town hardware stores have obsolete stuff kickin around, and the tractor dealerships are probably our best bet! All farm equipment places carry all kinds of odd ball stuff including small boxes of several different sizes of "zurbitz" or grease fittings and plugs in kits :D
3 Birds of a Feather...
Sunula66

Return to Engine Tech