Little help on small LS details

Moderator: Moderators

Little help on small LS details

Postby 1100kaw » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:35 pm

I did a little searching on LS1 tech with not much luck.
I need to run my steam/vent tube. Dont know best/correct solution. I was thinking I will prob have a small aluminum coupler in the middle of top hose. Tap it in there?
then i see putting it into water pump? Some say no no on that. Shouldnt be a preasureized port.
I dont have a fitting on Radiator.
Any help???

I also need to run PVC. and vent.
I was going to just use small filter on pass side valve cover and plumb pcv into intake vacuume. Does it matter where? The back, @ M A P sensor area? Front by Throttlebody?
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Re: Little help on small LS details

Postby cacmanjr » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:54 pm

www.jagsthatrun.com has adapters that go in the upper radiator hose to accept the steam vent line. On my first LS motor, I plumbed it into the water pump without noticing an issue.

PCV depends on what year engine and what intake you are running. I use a catch can to trap any oil that might get into the intake on my LS2 with an LS6 intake.

Hope some of this helps.
Carl Creque
cacmanjr

1977 Buick Skyhawk

Postby 72 SS PNL » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:26 am

my 04 gto right now has no steam pipes , and no issues for the last 4-5 years

though i do recommend them and will be using them when i put the new big inch motor in it

also the water pump trick works and is used quite often

what is the motor you are using from ? the pcv was rather simple and there is alot of ways to make things work , the way you mention will cause tuning issues
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby ColinOpseth » Tue May 07, 2013 1:11 am

Not sure about the LS1, but my LT1 also has a steam line. I had a local radiator shop braze a small tube on for me. Haven't had a problem since. Didn't think it was a big deal to run the steam line?
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 1100kaw » Tue May 07, 2013 9:28 pm

thanks for the input.
I'm gonna try the top hose tap for steam line. Cant see the difference in that and a fitting on radiator? gonna be the same level? and i dont have to pull radiator to have fitting welded in.
I'm running the all aluminum 5.3 out of 04 trail Blazer.
I went ahead and ran PCV to port at throttle body, and filter vented the opposite valve cover.
How do they go stock? Why is it possible i may have tunning issues? IDK?
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby cacmanjr » Wed May 08, 2013 5:58 am

My steam line in the upper radiator hose appears to be working fine. No reason why yours would not.

On the pcv valve, sometimes oil gets sucked into the intake because the underside of the valve in not well baffled. That's the reason for the catch can between the valve and the input on the intake manifold. You will want to check to see if you get oil there. That could cause tuning problems for sure. There are a few variations out there on the stock system. Is your pcv valve in the valve cover or is there a connection to the valley cover?
Carl Creque
cacmanjr

1977 Buick Skyhawk

Postby 1100kaw » Thu May 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Drivers side Valve cover at the rear. Stock valve covers.
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby cacmanjr » Thu May 09, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi, Darrell. That is the same system I had originally and it sucked a lot of oil into the intake. I tried a catch can and it would eliminate most of the problem. Then I would up going to the later LS6 valley cover which has an orifice tube instead of a regular pcv valve. That eliminated the problem completely. Now the catch can stays dry as a bone. If I can be of any more help, let me know.
Carl Creque
cacmanjr

1977 Buick Skyhawk

Postby 76vega4.8 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:57 pm

i go to tractor supply and buy a 3/4x3/4x1/4 tee. splice the steam line into the heater hose but make sure it sits higher than the water jacket. the steam line is how all the air escapes. fill the block and radiator via the upper radiator hose leaving the steam line open until water comes from it. connect when it comes out then top off through the radiator hose.i
76vega4.8

Return to Engine Tech