Lets talk V8 Monza pulleys...

Moderator: Moderators

Lets talk V8 Monza pulleys...

Postby T-FATTY » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm getting ready to do some work to my car and was wondering about V8 Monza pulleys. Here are some part numbers i can up with, are these correct?
Crank pulley numbers 2 piece 360453 and 3911013 but also found this number too 3755820
Waterpump pulley number 3905995

What are you guys running on your V8 Vegas/Monzas?

Thanks, Todd.
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Re: Lets talk V8 Monza pulleys...

Postby 454Vega » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:28 pm

just buy the chrome stuff @ autozone type stores or e-bay
454Vega

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:54 pm

V8 Monza's had some different ratio pulleys vs some other cars. You can use aftermarket stuff if you can find them in the correct sizes and for a short water pump application but I'd be careful about what you buy. Pulleys are designed with different offsets and it's nice to have a matched set so you are sure everything is going to line up correctly. This assumes you are using the stock mounting brackets. 360453 is a "front" crank pulley w/AC and it mounts along with 3911013 which is a 2 groove crank pulley also with AC. This combo makes a 3 groove crank pulley. 3905995 is not a Monza pulley, it is a 7 1/4" pulley while V8 Monza's used a 5 7/16" water pump pulley. There are 2 groove crank pulleys, pulleys designed with or without AC etc. It's not as simple as it first appears. If you get a mismatched set you are going to have all sorts of alignment issues.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby gotmud7 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:03 am

Lets add in alternator brackets here too. I've seen pictures of V8 Vegas with driver or passenger side mounts. What did the V8 Monzas have? How about brackets available for a V8 conversion.

I'm doing the Vega V8 swap. I think I need to find alternator brackets from a Corvette due to the SBC and Short water pump.
I'm not trying to hijack the thread.
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:55 pm

I believe there were at least two positions for V8 Monza alternators. It depends upon whether you have AC or not, my car which does not have AC has the old traditional passenger side mount alternator. Some cars had it mounted on top of the water pump I believe. It may also depend upon whether the car came equipped with an air pump. That's why things can get a little complicated with the different accessory options.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 77 Spyder » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:15 pm

My 77 has A/C & the three belts, & like Clyde said, they are different setups. I used all the original pulleys on an engine that can turn
over 6500 RPMS. I was having issues launching the belts. Turned out my crank pulley had a very slight wobble. I went to an aftermarket billet
aluminum & it worked perfect, but its slightly smaller so I had to run shorter belts. I will need to do some checking to see what it is.
I know the water pump was in "overdrive" with the oem setup. large crank pulley & a small water pump pulley.
77 Spyder

1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Smiley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:32 am

Chrome pulleys are mostly universal with a 1:1 ratio. If the chrome pullies work for you that's great but if you have cooling issues Corvette pullies are easier to find used and are reproduced. Corvette pullies can also be had in deep groove versions if you plan on reving over 6000 RPM and not throwing belts.
Late 60's to mid 70's small block Corvettes used short water pumps with a larger crank pulley and a smaller water pump pulley like the V8 monzas did to drive the mechanical fan and water pump faster. Factory Alt brackets are hard to find for a Monza.
If you have manual steering you can get an aftermarket alt bracket that bolts to the front of the drivers side cylinder head, or the generic header type for short water pumps that mounts to the 2 front driver exhaust manifold/header bolts if your head is not tapped.
Driver side alt eliminates the need to extend the wiring harness on a Vega.
Hooker type front motor mounts you can fab/weld a pair of tabs to the top of the motor mount for the lower alt pivot point.
Summit has Griffin single pass and can get double pass aluminum radiators that fit in between the Vega frame rails without cutting anything or hanging down below the core support. Double pass routes the upper hose to the passenger side away from the alt belt.

If you can list the info on your car and motor it would help narrow things down:
what year, Monza or Vega, PS and or AC, front sway bar type, what radiator,size and type of fan, what motor mounts, are the front of the heads tapped ?
Smiley

Postby rtm » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:43 pm

I knew I had pics posted somewhere.
these are my monza v-8 pulleys

viewtopic.php?t=25216&p=125825#p125825

alternator brkt. is aftermarket, crank pulley is from MARCH (company name)
SBC w/short water pump.
will try to dig up part #s but, IDK
rtm

1976 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Are you looking for pulleys? Is it a AC car or non AC?
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby jed14 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:21 am

I'm trying to get a complete set of pulleys and brackets for a V8 with A/C swap. Does anyone have an exploded view diagram of the complete set up? I bought some parts and I can tell some of them are right, but not sure about the others....

Thanks for any help-
Joe
jed14

Postby Bullet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Joe, I am planning on using a set of late model ('83, late model to me) pulleys from an inline 6 with AC, the water pump pulley is small diamter with 4 grooves. I'll try to take some pics later on so you can check them out. As for brackets, that will probably have to come from a doner. There's a guy fairly local to me that has masses of H-body stuff, he may have everything but I can't say as to prices, I haven't dealt with him myself. Here's a link to his website.
http://www.vegaguy.com/
Bullet

Return to Engine Tech