350 v8 timing question

Moderator: Moderators

350 v8 timing question

Postby finest20 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:34 pm

hello everyone
I had brought this up before about setting the timing on my 350 v8 motor, but I forgot to post the cam specs, so here they are:

duration = 292 degrees
duration @ 0.050" = 234 degrees
valve lift @ cam = 0.325
max lift angle = 109 degrees
lobe separation = 114 degrees

cam timing @ 0.050" (opens) 8 degrees ATDC , 56 degrees BBDC
cam timing @ 0.050" (closes) 46 degrees ABDC , -8 degrees BTDC

Based on these cam specifications, which setting should I be using for timing? I know I need to disconnect the advance and plug the hose vacuum, but then which of these cam numbers am I timing the car to? Is it that simple or am I going to have to play with the timing a little? Someone talk me through this please. Thanks
Rob
finest20

Re: 350 v8 timing question

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:05 pm

Rob, I think you are confusing cam timing with ignition timing. They are two completely different things. For your ignition timing I would suggest starting with about 12 degrees BTDC set with the vacuum advance disconnected and at a low idle rpm so that you are not getting additional advance from the weights in the distributor. Then when you are done reconnect the vacuum advance and set the idle where you need it. Static ignition timing (which is what you are setting with your timing light) will depend upon a number of factors, including but not limited to the amount of advance built into the distributor, fuel quality, compression ratio, A/f ratio etc. This is a good starting point, then listen for any knock or preignition when accelerating. You can vary the timing a few degrees in either direction to fine tune it.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Engine Tech