GRIFFIN RADIATOR QUESTION

Moderator: Moderators

GRIFFIN RADIATOR QUESTION

Postby zleuthardt » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Hello all,

I'm considering purchasing a Griffin radiator through v8monza.com. Has anyone used these? I want to put it in a 76 Astre Wagon. Do I need any additional hardware? I've what v8monza.com has to say about it, but I wanted to be sure before I bought. I'm curious if I need to purchase any factory v8 pieces or brackets to install it. I know it says that I eliminate the brackets, but I want to be sure. The car is at my dads house right now and I'm stationed out of state, but I'm heading home to work on it for a few days and I want get everything in line so my precious few days at home aren't wasted.

Thanks,
Zach
We don't have a cow, we have a bull.
zleuthardt

Re: GRIFFIN RADIATOR QUESTION

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:04 am

I used one in my Monza and it pretty much dropped in as intended. Can't say for sure on a Astre, but one thing that is needed is wider rubber cushions which support the radiator top and bottom. Obviously the side tanks are thicker so they require a wider cushion. I can get the ones that I used on my car if you you need them. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby sportriderok » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:10 am

I should have mine installed by the end of the week, but like Clyde, my car is a factory V8 Monza. Looks like it should drop into the Astre with no problems or extra parts, though.
sportriderok

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Coupe

Postby Elitedragon27 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:24 pm

What model of the Griffey radiators will fit the h body's. I have a 75 starfire that I put a 327 into and the original v6 radiator isn't going to keep it cool. So I don't want to order the wrong one. I have seen some people say a couple dif ones but I would like to place one order and get the right equipment.
Elitedragon27

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire GT

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:28 pm

There are basically two versions for a Monza (Starfire), a 400hp and a 600hp one. While it might seem simple to just get the 600hp version there may be a issue with thickness. I have a 75 Monza which came with a factory V8. With the stock water pump and fan I do not have enough room for the 600hp version. The 400hp version fits perfectly however and cools my 355 great. The 400 uses two 1" rows while the 600 is two 1 1/4" rows. In the end the 600 is about 3/4" thicker and that's about all the clearance I have with the 400. So, I would recommend the 400hp version in your 75. You can order it with a trans cooler if needed, also with the bung for the coolant level sensor as well as having the nipple for the coolant overflow hose clocked in the direction you need. It's a great radiator and should drop right in, you may need some wider rubber insulators top and bottom to accommodate the wider tanks but that's about it. They are a bit pricey, but it's worth it especially if you want a "drop in" one that doesn't require any mods.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:09 pm

There is also this point from Be Cool's site http://becool.com/faqs Scroll down to the question about tube size and their answer about thicker tubes (9th question in radiators section) says thicker tubes don't work that they just reduce airflow! Good simple question good simple answer? Sorry not to have helped much Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Elitedragon27 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 am

CJ. You wouldn't happen to have there part numbers do you. As far as Clarence I have pulled Tyne mechanical fan and have 4 1600cfm electric fans that sit against the radiator and has given me a lot more room but I think I'll stay about 400 max of 450 hp
Elitedragon27

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:40 am

This is the one I have WITHOUT the trans cooler (manual trans car). P/N 6-277AV-BXX-
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Elitedragon27 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 am

Ok thank you
Elitedragon27

Postby Elitedragon27 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:34 pm

Looking at the image of this radiator it shows the driver side inlet coming out of the top of the side tank and slightly forward. Is this an incorrect image or am I going to have a hood clearance problem. I don't have a lot of room above the rad cap and this shows it going higher then the cap. Clarification would be great
Elitedragon27

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:55 pm

A V8 Monza requires the curved upper inlet to clear the power steering pump. If it came straight back it would run right into the pump, clearance is snug but it fits a Monza fine. Can't say for sure on a Vega. You can spec out whatever you want when you order from Griffin, not sure how Bob would go about it. If in doubt call Griffin tech line and tell them what you want. I am sure they could build it with the inlet tube however you wanted if the stock Monza one won't work.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Engine Tech