clearance issues with hardy mounts

Moderator: Moderators

clearance issues with hardy mounts

Postby utah vega » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:37 am

I'm running hardy mounts on my car with a small block in it, I chopped my oil pan myself as far as I could and I'm still touching the steering link on the pan. I don't know if I dare trim the pan more or try to raise the motor a bit. Anyone else have this issue and what are your suggestions?
utah vega

Re: clearance issues with hardy mounts

Postby Smiley » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:45 pm

you can use shims to raise the motor,
I have Hardy mounts on a Vega with a Monza oil pan with no rubbing.
Smiley

Postby vegastre » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:47 pm

The Original Don Hardy mounts are/were designed to sit on top of the stock Vega 4cyl frame pads with the SBC 70's motor mount. So yes, you need spacers of some sort if the stock pads have been removed. Even then you may still need shims of some sort.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby megavega » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:03 am

the sbc vega I had way back when and the hardy mounts, used a 72 chevy truck motor mount that attached to the block with 3 bolts but just the 1 big one to the hardy frame stands, just added some shims there to get it in the sweet spot. The motormount has a big surface area around that bolt so you can use large diameter washers or shims made from flat stock, whatever fits, and use a slightly longer bolt if needed. Like vegastre said they were designed to be bolted in on top of the original 4 cyl frame plates which are 2 layers spotwelded to the frame. I still shimmed mine as well to get it perfect.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby dadhad1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:04 pm

My oil pan was getting REAL close to my steering link too and I just put in a pair of large fender washers between the motor mounts and plates at each bolt hole.
I'm using different mounts than you, but concept is the same.
If you do any motor raising, which sounds like you'll need to one way or another, good idea to check your driveline angle.
Lot of guys don't realize, the slightest bit if 'front of motor' elevation, can alter your angle considerably (often times enough where a correction to the trans tail height and/or pinion gear angle is warranted).

Good luck,
Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Return to Engine Tech