Olds Aurora 8 Cyl in a Starfire?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Olds Aurora 8 Cyl in a Starfire?

Postby CosWorth-a-lot » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Wow! Lots of misinformation here. OK I work at a Cadillac dealer. Here's a quick rundown on Northstar motors. Aurora V8 is a 4.0 liter. Cadillac used a 4.6l and a 4.4l. Just like the SBC these 3 engines share a lot of parts. The 4.4l was supercharged/intercooled and made 476HP. The 4.6l was available as a 275HP or 300HP. The 2006-2010 CTS/STS used a RWD Northstar. The Northstar has its own bolt pattern but you can modify a 60 degree V-6 or FWD 3800 V-6 trans/bellhousing to fit. The Olds 3.5 V-6 Shortstar makes 240HP and uses the small composite or 60 degree V-6/3800 V-6 bolt pattern. Anybody who says the Northstar is crap has never owned one and is just spreading internet rumors. Yes some have their problems but there is an aftermarket that has addressed those problems. Think about it. Millions of Northstars have been made and you can't drive a 100 yards without seeing one. If they were crap than they would be like the Vega and you wouldn't see any at all. Heck even the SBC has its faults. Yes the junkyards are full of them only because they are expensive to fix and blue book on a 10 YO Cadillac is nothing. On the other hand if you want something unique that hasn't been done to death and you know something about modern electronics and fuel systems than I say go for it. Do a google search for places that specialize in the Northstar for the parts to do a RWD swap. Some parts are made to run a old fashioned carb and keep the factory coil on plug ignition. I have even thought about doing the 3.5 Shortstar with a manual trans swap on a Vega since those parts are readily available and cheap to source.
CosWorth-a-lot

Postby 72 SS PNL » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:05 am

the CTS did not use a northstar , they have their V6 , and the CTS-V used the LS6 and LS2 , and the current CTS using the LSA

some reason i though the STS used a different motor
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby MonzaRacer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:05 pm

I had planned on us in a 93-99 Northstar or Aurora in my Monza. Neat thing is the starter is under intake so headers can tuck very close to the block.
There is one bolt hole that won't line up but its non issue.
There was a hot rod shop that was out in Colorado.
They had blower kits, manual swaps and lots of other stuff.
NOW the water pump on the drivers side head will need some special clearance or at least an access port even gotta allow room for water pump socket.
Its cam driven.
It will fit but it will need some finessing.
MonzaRacer

Previous

Return to Engine Tech