140 cam/crank alignment

Moderator: Moderators

140 cam/crank alignment

Postby 76vega4.8 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:48 pm

alignment can someone explain to me how to realign the cam and the crank to reinstall the timing belt?
76vega4.8

Re: 140 cam/crank alignment

Postby rpoz-29 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:25 am

I'm thinking the crank is set at TDC. The cam has a little tiny hole on the the gear. It's only about the diameter of a pencil lead, so you may have to look for it. Once found, mark it with chalk or something. It is aligned with a /\ looking mark on the cam gear cover at the bottom. Hopefully someone else will jump in here, but that's what I remember.
rpoz-29

Postby bugdewde » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:56 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24291&start=15

Scroll down to the pics of the cam and crank timing marks.
Cam is small hole(I painted mine red) aligned with "V" tab on block behind sprocket.
Crank has an arrow behind the crank sprocket to align with tooth on sprocket.

It's been a few years but I think you keep the cam sprocket still by putting a screwdriver or something through the sprocket and head.
Obviously, align crank to tdc and install belt. I straddled the engine (facing forward) and slipped the head/cam sprocket into the belt by lifting up on rear of head to lower the sprocket into the belt. Took a couple tries to get it right.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby kre25 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:37 pm

I race the 140 engine.
I found out to never assume that the timing marks are correct for TDC on the timing marks.
I have had them be as far as 2 degrees off in both directions.
We always put the engine at TDC before we put on the Head and permantly mark TDC for that engine.
Here is our method of degreeing in the camshaft.We do not have a split duration camshaft.
With the bottom end at TDC.
The belt off and water pump loose.
Take your valve cover off.
Take a feeler guage and level #1 intake and #1 exhuast lifters along with #4 intake and #4 exhaust lifters.
That is where your cam is straight up.
We have had an adjustable Timing Gear made for our 140 out of a stock gear.
It makes a huge differance in our car to advance the Camshaft the exact correct amount for racing.
Always listen to your Cam company on where to degree in the Cam.
kre25

Postby kgroombr » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Where does a person find a performance cam for the 140 engine these days?

Ken
kgroombr

Postby rpoz-29 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:24 am

Ebay, or maybe kre25 knows of a supply, or a grinder. I ran a '71 2bbl cam in my Vega for years. A shop in Chesapeake, VA,(Bray's Automotive), built a few very successful 140's for the original "Baby Grand" class in NASCAR. I read an article about them and the engines in Stock Car Racing magazine, and paid them a visit. Their parts car at the time was a Vega panel wagon that they drag raced. 1bbl, 3 speed running in some obscure stock class in the mid 16's. Anyway, they told me to use a '71 2bbl cam. Oddly enough, I think the later solid lifter 2bbl cams had the same part number, but the 2 bbl had it's own. I saved the magazine, if I can find it.
rpoz-29

Postby kre25 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:05 am

kgroombr wrote:Where does a person find a performance cam for the 140 engine these days?

Ken

I am up late reading this, I will get with my Brother in the morning, He found a shop that has many regrinding options to choose from.

They are very reasonable as well.

I have 1 of their Cams in one of our engines now.

We were limited on lift being in a stock class, so we had to stay under .438.

They have many Beefier Cam grinds to choose from.
The best thing is, that when I ordered the Cam, I did not have to furnish a core, they had some in stock.

I will get the Info and post it here later Today.
kre25

Postby kgroombr » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:16 pm

I have a couple 140 engines that I would like to get performance 140 camshafts for. I have an IECO engine with domed pistons, head with the larger valves, and dual Weber side draft manifold/carburetor. Not sure what happened to the cam that was in it, but the lobes are very rounded. The journals are good, so the cam would be a good candidate for build up and grinding. This is a mechanical camshaft engine and I would like to get the beefiest camshaft possible for this guy.

The other engine is a 76 engine with hydraulic camshaft. I would like to get a street cam for an almost stock engine. Only modification is I have an two barrel Offenhauser intake and a header on it. Another possible future modification is some head work making it a quench head.

Ken
kgroombr

Return to Engine Tech