V8 oil pan spec's

Moderator: Moderators

V8 oil pan spec's

Postby heavy6405 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm

I;ve got an 84 right side dip stick motor i'm putting in my 76 vega and having a hard time finding a used oil pan. I don't want to spend hundred's of dollars on a new one, so I'm thinking about trying to make one out of the pan that came with the motor. Anyone know of a web-site that will give me some spec's on demention's or have done this already give me some guidance to get me started? Would be greatly appreciated. Thank's
heavy6405

1974 Chevrolet Vega Notchback

Re: V8 oil pan spec's

Postby RamIt » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:51 pm

Here goes a couple of required modification pictures. Second pic is of a moroso pan.
Pulled from http://www.v8monza.com

Postby dadhad1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Hey Heavy6405,

You have the short small block span of engine years (I believe 80-85) with a passanger side dipstick but 2 pc rear main.
I don't think you'll find an aftermarket one that will work for you, so you may have to get one for your appl and modify it.
I have a 86 & later 1 pc rear main in my car, so that's the route I went (pretty much followed the modification instructions from the V8Monza site), but if I were to do it again, I would add a chamfer relief on the side cut/corner area right above where the steering link is.
My turning radius was shortened/compromised a bit by NOT doing this because the steering link joints will hit the side of the pan there.
I ended up replacing those 2 grease fittings with counter sunk set screws to buy me a little more clearance/turn, but still ended up being a bit limited.
Aside from that, it was pretty cut/dry.

Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Postby heavy6405 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks for the info guy's. Yea,that's what it is. An 84 corvette 350.9 to 1 forged pistons, new eagle rod's with arp bolt's, steel crank. Redone Vortec heads For $300. So it was hard to pass up.But If i had to do it over again I would of gotton an earlier or later motor. Guess i'm makin a pan.. The spec sheet really help's.
heavy6405

1974 Chevrolet Vega Notchback

Postby JimW » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:44 pm

FWIW - I made a pan based on the specs that are shown in the previous diagram. It worked just fine, other than the pan was older than the hills (1968) and it started leaking on the welds after a 5-6 months.

So.....

I bought a new pan and put a piece of 5" exhaust where the steering link travels and notched out the corners for the tie rod ends - MUCH easier and it held an extra 1/2 quart of oil. After fabricating the pan, install it on the engine without the gasket and spin the engine over to check for clearance. If it clears without the gasket, then it will have ample room with the gasket. P.S. - if it rubs, then it needs some caressing with a 2x4 and a hammer - no kidding :shock: .

The 1st pan I made took me all day to make and the second took about 2 hours.
'64 Buick Wildcat w/401 Nailhead in restoration process
'67 Chevy C20 (son's daily driver)w/Inline 250 - lumps, big valves, Offy intake, Holley carb, Langdon Headers, 240 hp w/ T5
'77 Astre SBC 327 with TPI, Megasquirt EMS, 200-4R
JimW

1977 Pontiac Astre Hatchback

Return to Engine Tech