buick v8 questions

Moderator: Moderators

buick v8 questions

Postby whitechocolate » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:15 pm

I have a 76 chevy monza with the 3.8 buick oddfire with the 5 speed. I just picked up a 79 buick 350 that had an auto trans put of a lesabre looks like every thing is gonna work but the water pump and pully with no fan looks long so would the buick 3.8 waterpump work or would not putting a fan on it and use eletrical fans. And would the bell housing flexplate and clutch work in the v8. I know that 5 speed is not gonna hold up so should i get it rebuilt or what other manual trans would work dont care if its a 3,4 or 5 speed. And with that torshen bar that runs from the driver side of the tranny to the dif the pumkin would i have to put a bracket on a nother trany to have that or how would that work out. And on how far they necked down the hp in 79 compaired to 69 from 280 to 155 if that all in the heads and manifold mostly?? How would i increase that.
whitechocolate

Re: buick v8 questions

Postby cammerjeff » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:32 am

I can't help with the Fan clearance question, I have never put a SBB in an H-body, other than the little 215 in my Astre. But your BOP Bellhousing should work fine, the only thing to check on the Buick 350 is make sure the crank shaft is actually machined to accept a Pilot bushing for the trans. I had 77 Buick 350 that was not machined and could not be used with a manual trans.

As for the Fly wheel that could be an issue, I do not know if the bolt pattern is the same from the V-6 to the V-8. Also all Buick 231 V-6's are at least partially externally balanced, so if the bolt pattern is the same, if you get the V-6 flywheel zero balanced, it should work.

Also if I remember correctly the H-body Clutch and pressure plate are smaller ( 8.5") compared to 9.5" for the V-8 parts. So double check the size of the Clutch parts, and check the clearance you have with the V-8 parts and the H-body Bellhousing.

I have never done the swap you are talking about, only a few Buick V-8 H-bodies have been built. And the 1 I have seen in person was an Automatic.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby whitechocolate » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:34 pm

So the motor does have the spot on the crank for the bearing for the manual trans. Is there any one else could help me out
whitechocolate

Postby bugdewde » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Looks like these guys could help you out some..... the original poster was looking to do a Buick swap and KS_SKYHAWK replied with some of his input on his swap on this thread. Check it out.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21583
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby 79440bird » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:12 am

I have did a Buick 350 swap in a 78 skyhawk. When I did my swap back in 1995 I called kenne bell for help. The manifolds work but the drivers side mount needs spacer under it about 1 1/2 inch an passenger mount needs about an inch spacer. The 3 bolts that hold the steering column to the firewall will need to be removed an then only loosen the two bolts that hold the steering column to the dash bracket. Now u can push the steering column over at the firewall toward the kick panel about 3/4 inch. Buy 3 self tap screws and install them in the steering column firewall. That will give u the clearance u need to get the steering around the exhaust manifold. A/C bracket had to modify a little lower. After that motor looks like it came that way from the factory . motor mounts r the same as the V6 an I also welded to pieces of flat plate on each side of the rubber on my drivers motor mount to make it solid. I run an automatic turbo 350 trans. Currently car is apart but was pretty kool looking when it was together
79 sunbird 440 chrysler motor indy cyl heads12bolt leaf springs 80 sunbird 3800supercharged everything from a 99 bonneville 75 cosworth 350 dual quads 84 efi vette intake mod for carbs 78 Buick skyhawk 350 buick motor A/C &TA performance intake
79440bird

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby CaptainPainn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:56 pm

79440bird wrote: The manifolds work but the drivers side mount needs spacer under it about 1 1/2 inch an passenger mount needs about an inch spacer.

I used V6 Buick frame plates in a V8 Chevy swap. I noticed that the passenger frame plate was higher than the driver, but didn't know if it was bent or factory. I don't know the difference in mounting location from Buick to Chevy, but the spacers i used are an inch and a half on the passenger side and two inch on the driver side so that would confirm what your saying about the driver side being a half inch higher. Thanks for the info.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Engine Tech