Iron Duke Formula Option?!

Moderator: Moderators

Iron Duke Formula Option?!

Postby Trot27 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:29 am

Does anyone know if you could order the "formula package" on the Iron Duke without the "formula" package for the actual Astre? I'm talking about a '77 with the iron duke in it, but it had the chrome valve cover and the air cleaner cover with the "Formula" logo/ sticker on it...but the car itself isn't the formula option. I'm still trying to locate info on what all you could order directly from the dealer for your purchase, in terms of engine options (like this possible option), interior options etc. etc.
Trot27

Re: Iron Duke Formula Option?!

Postby cammerjeff » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:01 pm

From what I have observed of 77 Iron Dukes, They may all have received the Chrome Valve cover and Formula 2.5 Air Cleaner Sticker. I have owned 2 77 Astre Formula's, and parted out 2 wagons, and 1 HB non formula's that all had the Chrome valve cover, and the 1 sticker that was still in good shape was the Formula 2.5 style.

Also I have seen pictures on this site of at least 2 other 77 non Formula Astre's equipped with the Iron Duke engine, and they also had both the Chrome Valve cover and Formula 2.5 Air Cleaner Sticker. Also I have seen 1 77 Phoenix with an Iron Duke (the only other Body Style that you could get and Iron Duke in 1977) and it also had the Chrome Valve cover, but had a totally different Air Cleaner Assembly with No Sticker on it.

I have parted out 1 1978 Sunbird Wagon with an Iron Duke, and it had a Painted Valve cover and now sticker remains on the air cleaner. I have not seen any 77 Sunbirds with the Iron Duke, so I have no information on them.

So my Best Guess is that all production 77 Iron Dukes had the Chrome Valve cover, and all Astre, and probably Sunbirds received the Formula 2.5 stickers. And the 78's did not receive the Chrome Valve cover.

And the 77 Astre Formula information states that the Package consists of among other things the Chrome Valve cover and Formula 2.5 call out sticker, but does not say it is exclusive to that Model.

Sorry I can't add anything more, just my observations over 15 years.

Hopefully some 77 Sunbird owners can add more info, but remember that Sunbirds were also available with V-6 and V-8 engines that year, so finding an original Sunbird with a 2.5 still in it could be tough.

Can you post some pic's of your car and its Engine?
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Return to Engine Tech