Chevy Monza with chevy 350

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Chevy Monza with chevy 350

Postby monzam22 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:52 pm

I had a feeling this thing was set up strange. He is a machinist/engineer and had a feeling he went over the top, lol. I have the tranny out and will be rebuilding it myself soon, after I put it back in I will take more pictures of the car and the setup.
monzam22

Re: Chevy Monza with chevy 350

Postby MonzaRacer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:22 pm

OK so from what I am seeing the rear axle is too far rearward, not sure why. As for the set up I think its similar to what I did with an S10 rearend, mbasically I think who ever installed it is using the slapper bars to control axle wrap and using that too compensate for no upper control arms.
biggest issue is it fails in everyway to keep pinion angle under control or to actually plant the car properly.
Dont get me wrong, its functioning but you have LOTS of conflicting axle control issues, basically your slapper bars are operating in a semi ladder mode.
Too keep the Camaro axle, I would look at the Jegster SS bar and weld in new mounts. since you mostly gonna drive it and some track action they would be a great work around and let you ditch the panhard bar possibly.
Also with the release bolt removed from the Jegster SS bars it lets the rear end act more like a three link for daily driving.
OR you can buy spring perches, and cut down some leaf springs like I did. Real issue is the stresses the control arm/slapper bar are creating.
But cool car.
One other possibility is the upper cross member I am working on. It will go across the car floor even with upper part of trans tunnel. The idea is its going to incorporate a third link upper as well as a pair of upper control arms. The third link will be on the pass. side of pumpkin, or next too it will be the uppers control arms.
This cross member will basically tie into the floor pinch weld and have reinforcing tabs that meet with rear seat belt bolts, looking into having special nut made to tie it down there AND allow for exhaust hangers for dual pipes/mufflers at least to rear axle.
IF the Fays2 watts link kit comes about I will have it set up with arms similar to the clearanced ones for Mustang convertibles. Cool part about Fays2 watts is that the prop arms are mounted to clamp on attachments and the propeller and frame work will sit between axle and gas tank. Even looking at making external electric pump/fuel filter mount to incorporate into it.
I also have plans to have an adapter and straps made to center up gas tank for more dual exhaust clearance. AND a spare tire well block off to allow people to trim down spare tire well if they want AND incorporate a smaller Antigravity/Braille/Odyssey batteries securely and keep it out of sight and also give you a way to install external battery shut off ( build a dual switch set up that kills ground first then power, isolating battery completely AND not pulling positive first which will fry electronics in cars).
Been designing and building the dual switch for people for few years, so far no complaints.
Now with better weather I hope to have pics of cross member in next couple weeks (still planning a garage, just had to get some bills paid off.
Lee
MonzaRacer

Previous

Return to Engine Tech