Bigger Radiator Installed

Moderator: Moderators

Bigger Radiator Installed

Postby 77irishwagon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Just wanted to share some info on the radiator I installed after battling heating issues on the wagon during the race season. It was typical to come back after one pass to temps in the 200 degree range. (this is with a scirocco style radiator and mechanical waterpump).

I purchased a bigger radiator and electric waterpump.
Radiator and shroud is from Jegs 555-52081 (22x19 dimension),Jegs radiator mount kit 555-52081, electric fan 555-52105, shroud 555-52061.

You can see the comparison in the new vs old
rad compare.jpg

As you can see i went crazy with my new cutoff wheel and cut alot of the core support out. I cut the bottom all the way across until i reached the bolts that bolt in the impact absorbing piece of metal (This should also keep the frame from moving-pulling apart)
rad2.jpg

Using the Jegs universal mount- i cut a couple of pieces of angle iron and drilled a hole in each of them to mount through the existing bolt holes for the impact absorber (thick wavy metal bar behind the bumper). I drilled a hole through the angle iron and mounted the top part of the universal radiator using 3 feet of 3/8 all thread and double nutted the radiator mount to keep it from moving from left to right.
I then welded a couple of tabs with 3/8 hole to mount the bottom part of the radiator. It was secured using a metal rod that i drilled a hole and cotter pinned the ends.
rad3.jpg

I also remove the old motor mount setup that used the mechanical waterpump mounting holes and installed the competition engineering motor plate 4003 (notching for mech fuel pump and gear box) and replaced the mechanical pump with a Meziere WP201UHD - 200 series

rad4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
77irishwagon

1977 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: Bigger Radiator Installed

Postby spencerforhire » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:57 am

That's the exact same Summit rad and fan I have in my drag car; it has no problem cooling, even with the grill opening closed off.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Return to Engine Tech