V8 conversion Q - Alternator / Upper Rad Hose interference?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: V8 conversion Q - Alternator / Upper Rad Hose interferen

Postby Smiley » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:01 pm

The swivel housings come with the oring and should work with any manifold that is not pitted too deeply where it seals.
They come in different angles also like 90, 15, 45 degrees.

Smiley

Postby Smiley » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:55 am

I have been looking at this for squeezing in dual electric puller fans when I put AC back on my car.
Puller fans are more effective than pullers and if you have a trans cooler and or an AC condenser in front of the radiator there will not be room for pushers anway.
Or for those who just prefer electric fans but can't quite fit 2 pullers around the water pump pulley.

Speedway sells these for old street rods like the 32 Ford with a small block Chevy motor, it raises the water pump pulley 5" to allow a larger mechanical fan to be centered in those tall radiators. It would not work in an H-Body with a mechanical fan , but it would make room for dual pullers.

It takes an L6 Chevy water pump and uses stock short small block V8 pulleys. L6 pumps can be had in aluminum or cast iron, aluminum being the HD version with the price almost double the cast iron pumps.

It looks like it might help on an H-body for those wanting to use larger dual electric puller fans without moving the radiator into the core support.
It also has an alternator mount provision close to the Monza location and an AC compressor mount. It is priced at about $250 + the L6 pump.
I have not tried it yet, but I have returned things to Speedway in the past without hassles.
More pics http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-cooling-a-sbc-with-a-mechanical-fan.168231/

The long input shaft would allow the flange to be pressed on farther to gain another 3/4" or so, then use a shallow single groove pulley or a dual groove pulley and cut the rear groove off.

quick mock up with 21" core rad, two 10 1/4" plates and 5.5" pump pulley 5" above where the fan is normally.

2003 Neon dual fan assy $85 shipped new on ebay

Last edited by Smiley on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smiley

Postby Corellian Corvette » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:20 pm

So I went with the RH outlet version from Summit. Instead of the swivel neck, I found an original GM neck that faces the Passenger side.

I also ordered the fan (although a smaller one since I'm trying to retain the stock upper shroud.

We shall see how it all works out! Thanks everyone for the advice!
Corellian Corvette

Postby Smiley » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:06 pm

When you get to pulleys use GM, V8 Monza if you can find them.
If not 76 Corvette pulleys are close. GM used a smaller water pump pulley and a larger crankshaft pulley to overdrive the water pump and fan.
Most aftermarket small block chrome or aluminum pulleys are 1:1 ratio- not what you want.
So what size fan are you going with and what is the number on the thermostat housing you found ?
Last edited by Smiley on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smiley

Postby chevyart » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:56 am

ihad read recently that the dual pass rads have some special needs, like a special waterpump and some other thing about them that was a negative for our regular street cars. there is a company called Stewartt(mcdsonald?) that has a good website and explains alot about water flow and all the myths. maybe you should look into this rad a little more let us know what you find out art
chevyart

Postby Corellian Corvette » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Dual Pass radiator arrived today. Looks like a nice unit, going to fit well.

Smiley - I sent you a PM. Perhaps you can help me with what hoses to use?

Thanks everyone!
Corellian Corvette

Previous

Return to Engine Tech