V8 OIL PAN FOR 76 VEGA & WATER PUMP PULLEY

Moderator: Moderators

V8 OIL PAN FOR 76 VEGA & WATER PUMP PULLEY

Postby texasgilbert » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Hey Guys. I'm new to this forum since I bought a 76 Vega GT wagon. I'm going to put a V8 in it and have most of the parts I need but I have a question about oil pans. I don't have money to buy a $250 oil pan. I saw a proform oil pan # 66162 and in the list of cars that it's supposed to fit were a few Monzas. Does anyone know of this oil pan? Has anyone ever used one? Did it fit without any problems? Also, does anyone know where to get a 3 groove water pump pulley? The Vega has P/S, P/B and A/C and I'd like to keep it that way. I think I'm going to go with an aftermarket Hurricane system for the A/C because the A/C box it has now looks like it's not going to let me put the engine in without hitting big time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Gilbert
texasgilbert

Re: V8 OIL PAN FOR 76 VEGA & WATER PUMP PULLEY

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Gilbert, I can assure you that pan is not going to fit. Unfortunately many people list V8 pans as fitting because they fit the engine, not the chassis. V8 H bodies require a specific pan to clear the tie rods as well as the K member. You need a pan specifically made for a V8 H body, not one that fits other cars.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby paranoid56 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:04 am

here you for for the pulley. you will probably have to cut and weld your pan to git it to fit or just buy one.
http://www.amazon.com/Mota-Performance- ... lley+chevy
paranoid56

Postby texasgilbert » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:51 am

Thanks Guys. I didn't think that pan would fit the way it looked. I'm really have so many questions since I'm new to the H-body but I'll try to keep it brief. Is there such a thing as a torque arm eliminator or one that mounts to the trans. tunnel? Also, is there an oil pan that has a passenger side dipstick? I have a short block but the dipstick is on the passenger side. I'd like to use that block because it was recently overhauled. Does anybody have a Vega with factory A/C and a SBC? Thanks for your patience with the new guy. (ME. LOL.) Gilbert
texasgilbert

Postby texasgilbert » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:57 am

Thanks for guiding me to Amazon Paranoid but that pulley is for the crank. I already have a 3 groove crank pulley. I'm looking for a 3 groove water pump pulley or do I only need 2? Do the A/c and alt. run on the same pulley or something like that? Thanks again. Gilbert
texasgilbert

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:06 pm

That is a good price for that pulley, I don't think I can buy the chunk of aluminum for that price here and I would still have to machine it! The upper pulley may take you awhile, but be patient and post in the wanted section, and I am sure 1 will show up, it did for me, and it took awhile but these guy's came through! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby paranoid56 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:15 am

are you looking for short water pump or long?
paranoid56

Return to Engine Tech