Gasket Question

Moderator: Moderators

Gasket Question

Postby dindin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Need some advise Is using a permatex or similar product "along with gaskets" a good idea, anything potential problems?? I am putting new gaskets and wondering whats best way to go about it..

Al
dindin

Re: Gasket Question

Postby paranoid56 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:11 pm

depends on the gasket and where its at. generally i dont use any and use quality gaskets
paranoid56

Re: Gasket Question

Postby monzabug350 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:04 pm

If you are using cork gaskets (valve covers/oil pan) coat one side with RTV black and let it "skin up" and set it on the head/block and once its set coat the other side and let it "skin up" and install the cover/pan and you are good to go. "skin up" means let it dry until you can touch it and nothing sticks to your finger. If you are doing a SBC you only have to do the front and rear of the block before you put the intake on.You don't have to put any sealer on the intake gaskets,but I always put a bead around the coolant passages just to make sure there are no leaks. You can seal the timing cover the same as the valve covers and just to make sure that you don't have an oil leak at the front, put a bead inside the balancer keyway before you put it on. No sealer for the head gaskets unless you are using metal gaskets. If so use a coat of alum paint on both sides. This is all old school stuff but it still works. Hope it works for you.
monzabug350

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Engine Tech