Do Vegas with p/s still need sbc oil pan modified ?

Moderator: Moderators

Do Vegas with p/s still need sbc oil pan modified ?

Postby robert123 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi, got a stock 73 Vega hatch with factory power steering box -- will be running a stock sbc (maybe alum heads later); no a/c; battery relocated.

I've heard that the power steering center drag link is approx. 1/2 lower than the manual center drag link.

So is it necessary to modify the sbc oil pan for clearance -- or would there be enough clearance?
(I can monitor for any contact between center link and bottom of oil the pan.)

Thanks a lot
1973 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback, stock, 4-speed
robert123

Re: Do Vegas with p/s still need sbc oil pan modified ?

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:33 pm

As with most motor swap questions, the answer is "it depends". If you're using OEM V8 Monza mounts, you will need either an oil pan from the same donor OR modify a generic pan, whether or not you have P/S. if you have aftermarket front mounts, SOME position the motor high enough to clear a normal pan, but may have issues with pump mounting.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby robert123 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:50 am

spencerforhire wrote:As with most motor swap questions, the answer is "it depends". If you're using OEM V8 Monza mounts, you will need either an oil pan from the same donor OR modify a generic pan, whether or not you have P/S. if you have aftermarket front mounts, SOME position the motor high enough to clear a normal pan, but may have issues with pump mounting.

Thanks for the answer.

Here's some more information. I forgot to mention will be using Don Hardy V8 side engine mounts. I checked the center link and it is about 1/2 to 5/8 inch above the center, square-nut, that takes the approx. 3/8 bolt... in the middle of the cross member (where the K- member joins the cross member).

At full lock right or left....... the center link is about 2 millimeter (1/16) of an inch above the front upper lip of the cross member.
robert123

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:23 am

I have power steering and the P/S centerlink on my Vega. I only gained about 1/8" of clearance for the bottom of the Milodon pan. Don't forget you'll need inner tie rod end clearance, as well.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby robert123 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:46 pm

cosvega76 wrote:I have power steering and the P/S centerlink on my Vega. I only gained about 1/8" of clearance for the bottom of the Milodon pan. Don't forget you'll need inner tie rod end clearance, as well.

Chuck

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GUYS. :th:
Last edited by robert123 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
robert123

Postby nutt » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:39 am

I guess I just got lucky with my oil pan. Not sure what it's out of, it has the drain plug in the front of the sump and is a two step pan, similar to a chevelle pan. I used the Monza cradles and mounted those in the correct location but I slid the motor back approx. an inch and lifted the passenger side up a 1/4". I slid an hei large cap distributor in there and the cap clears the firewall by 1/8". The inner tie rods have the zircs towards the inside and they clear by the same 1/8". The sump as it transitions downward, clears the crossmember by approx. 1/4". I am using the torque arm rear and it has adjustment for taking up the difference ( 1 inch). Also, the driveline had enough slop in the yoke to accommodate and still have an inch of slide. The added inch really made the Sanderson headers fit much better and I have a little wiggle room for an actual cooling fan with the short water pump. Life is good!
nutt

Return to Engine Tech