what pullys and waterpump and radiator need sbc swap

Moderator: Moderators

what pullys and waterpump and radiator need sbc swap

Postby whitechocolate » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:14 am

My monza had The buick 231. Took that out have a sbc 350 for it now and got the v8 frame plates mounts and manifolds just wonderin . What parts can i buy off the shelf or on line for the pullys. And would the replacementwwaterpumpat napa for the v8 monza work. I hurd corvette pullys work and waterpump what years. I akso have a radiator out of a v6 h body that had a/c i hurd you can run those on v8 cars? Just wondering about sources where i can buy a waterpumpand pullys rradiatorthanks
whitechocolate

Re: what pullys and waterpump and radiator need sbc swap

Postby Smiley » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:16 am

The only reason I would use a V8 Monza water pump is to use an original V8 Monza alternator mounting bracket, if you use an aftermarket Alt bracket then any SBC short water pump with the correct rotation should work. (late SBC's with serpentine belts use a reverse rotation pump)
75 to 82 Corvettes used short water pumps and had pulleys with a ratio similar to V8 Monzas.
Monza water pumps are cast iron and are getting hard to find at part stores,
Corvette water pumps can be had in aluminum both share the 3/4" shaft
while other short SBC pumps used 5/8" shafts and a smaller bolt pattern so the fan and pulley pilot holes need to match the pump or be modified.
Most aftermarket aluminum pumps have 2 bolt patterns and most aftermarket fans have slotted holes.
Corvette parts are reproduced, new and used pulleys can be found on Ebay.
The ones you want overdrive the water pump (and belt driven fan)
The crank pulley should be 1" to 1.5" larger diameter than the water pump pulley.
Most of the new chrome pulleys are 1:1 ratio
which is ok for a full size car or truck with a 36" x 19" radiator but not a Monza or a Vega with a 26" x 16" radiator.
Bolt in aluminum radiators can be had from Griffin and Bob Gumm
Smiley

Return to Engine Tech