350 pistons what would you use

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 350 pistons what would you use

Postby monzabug350 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:53 pm

Hey Braker...If you want some good info/tech data on s/bs try to locate a book titled,How to build max-performance Chevy small-blocks on a budget,by David Vizard,Z57. Check your auto-parts how-to section or a speed shop. I picked it up at Autozone around 2012 and found a ton of info on building a s/b from mild to wild, it covers: Blocks,cranks,rods,pistons,heads,cams,valve trains,lubrication systems,exhaust systems,ignition systems,and 10 engine builds from mild to all out race engines. This guy has has a 50 year career with s/b chevys, so he knows his stuff. If no luck,try www.cartechbooks.com. And if you have never done a eng. rebuild/overhaul I would suggest getting hold of a factory manual or another How-to book on the subject. The old saying of "read the instructions" still holds true and saves time/money/agrivation/and busted knuckles.(not so much on the busted knuckles,but that's what band-aids and electrical tape is for,right guys?)
monzabug350

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Postby beakerztoyz » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Thanks man, that book you described sounds like one i will have to find. Like i said in a previous post while I have done cam swaps and head swaps I havn't ever assembled a short block, my dad has so I would either have him help me assemble it, or get the engine shop to do it either way i wouldn't assemble the bottom end without some advice on it.
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby zeke » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:20 am

The must have SBC bibles:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Those are both very good books as I have both, although a bit dated, I believe they are from the 70's. Obviously a great source of info for the parts available at that time. With technology being what it is you may have to consider that their may be some better choices/parts available today especially with heads and cams. Assembly tips and basic rebuild practices remain the same so if you can pick these up they would provide some great reading.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Previous

Return to Engine Tech