balancer question

Moderator: Moderators

balancer question

Postby kris0082 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:33 pm

I have a 75 monza 2+2 and I'm debating on using a stock balancer or a small solid balancer. I am putting together a 406 with a mild cam, 10.5 compression, aluminium heads nothing crazy. I'm not sure which balancer to use because the car is so light. What do yall think? oh and I am going to run a 2004r transmission and it does have a positrac rear end.
kris0082

Re: balancer question

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:56 pm

Kris you must match the balancer to the crank period. The stock "400" requires an "unbalanced or externally balanced" harmonic balancer (I am assuming you are doing a 0.030" over to create your 406). If you use an aftermarket crank some are externally balanced (most) and some are internally balanced, so it is absolutely imperative to make sure you use the right one. To further complicate this the "flexplate/flywheel" is also an "externally balanced" as well on the stock crank. Aftermarket would again require research. I have never seen a solid front Balancer as that would be a "flywheel" and would not dampen any crankshaft harmonics the sole purpose for it being there. As for your transmission choice just make sure that the correct flexplate has the right bolt pattern for your convertor, just to separate the boys from the men, (as it wasn't hard enough to start I guess). I know that this has made more questions than answers for you in the short haul but this info will be fairly easy to get on the net if you are patient, and should be easy if you are using a stock crank, just match the year and displacement, as the 400 is a unique beast. Please keep us posted and I am supposed to bug all new guys for pic's! And that means I am preaching do as I say, not as I do! :lol: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Smiley » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:51 am

A factory Chevy 400 small block will require a specific flywheel and balancer
with an extra weight welded on the flywheel and some metal removed on half the outside of the balancer.

Smiley

Postby kris0082 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:56 am

Sorry guys I should have said I have a aftermarket crank that is internally balanced i had everything balanced at the machine shop, and I didn't mean solid balancer it is just a small aftermarket balancer. I will post pictures of the car when I get it cleaned up.
kris0082

Postby beakerztoyz » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Kris, I think you might be wise to go back to the machine shop that balanced everything and ask them what they would use, strikes me as they would probably know what balancer and flywheel you should use for that crank
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby Smiley » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:57 pm

It should be Steel and SFI approved if you are going to race the car.
If it is solid than it is not really a harmonic dampener.
Smiley

Postby kris0082 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:06 pm

I asked the machine shop for their opinion and they said it's up to me and the smaller balancer would allow my motor to rev faster. I like the idea of the motor revving faster, but I don't want to blow the tires away because of how light the car is. I am not making a track car it is just a street strip toy. I know the balancer isn't solid because it wouldn't be able to absorb the engine pulses. It is just a performance small balancer. Thank you for all your comments and concerns it feels good that people are making sure you arent messing up
kris0082

Return to Engine Tech