Engine mount spacers

Moderator: Moderators

Engine mount spacers

Postby Todd TCE » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:02 pm

Can someone shed some light and what I'm seeing here and why.

There are some shims tacked under the motor mount plate that have been here a while. But that means the plate does not proper seat on the rail. I see the holes are missing for the two bolts, get that, it may be from some replacement work on the corner and I can get around that issue with through bolts if necessary but not with the plate where it sits now.

Car: 77 Mirage, V8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Re: Engine mount spacers

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:28 pm

Obviously someone tried to raise the engine up as some point in time. Probably had some oil pan clearance issues would be my guess. If the original mounts had sagged or if there was some frame spread this would have been a cheap fix to try and correct the engine sag.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:35 pm

The car was originally a 4 cylinder. The welded spacers were below the original mounts. Cut them off to use the stock v8 brackets or use parts available from http://www.powerbyace.com/
monzaaddict

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:03 pm

I stand corrected!
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:30 pm

Todd are you the owner of http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/
If you are, are you planning on a brake upgrade for your Monza?

How did you end up fixing the mangled lower control arm sheet metal on the car?

What did you do with the bent door hinge?
monzaaddict

Postby Todd TCE » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:35 pm

Interesting analogies. Thanks.

Some how I figured they were bogus. Clearly the two holes won't mount up with them in place.

The 4cyl angle seems plausible. Were there no threaded holes for the top down bolt in the 4 as shown now? So even after retrofitting two of the four bolts were not used?

I has some sectional work done on this corner and what we see now I think came from that car so I'm not sure what came from where but believe the plates were on the original car.

So..best way to make them fit correctly would be to remove them, use the bucket, bolt the bucket in and the space the motor mount to the block in my mind. What am I missing?
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby Todd TCE » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:41 pm

monzaaddict wrote:Todd are you the owner of http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/
If you are, are you planning on a brake upgrade for your Monza?

How did you end up fixing the mangled lower control arm sheet metal on the car?

What did you do with the bent door hinge?

Guilty.

I started a kit for both ends and worked on it for some time. I simply could not justify the work and such needed to run my 13" alum wheels. I have the modified spindles and hubs etc to build a larger kit if someone wants to do so. Even some bitchin small hats! lol The rear came part way also but again using the Wilwood combo parking brake caliper it was too large a radius for the wheel barrel. All a pile of dusty parts now up stairs.

The entire front corner was sectioned and the car checked for square. Supposedly anyhow. Came out much better than we had started with!

The door hinges got new pins kits, bushings and some welded in reducers for those bushings where the old holes were elongated. Not ideal but for a low time car they'll work. There is still, and supposed to be I'm told a gap in the lower hinges. I may add some spacers to them when we put the pins in the final time to take up the load. The A/B portions just don't touch and I find that odd putting more load on the upper hinge. (think that's right)
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby CaptainPainn » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:49 pm

As stated, the spacers are original 4 cyl mounts. Grab a crowbar and a BFH and knock em off. All holes will then line up. If I recall, one of the holes is not threaded and requires the use of a nut. Top hole should be threaded though.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Todd TCE » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks. Yeah, whatever is missing I can make work. Easy access to the under side a bolt/nut should work just fine. Nobody will know. ahh, until now...
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby Todd TCE » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:39 pm

Guess we'll see what shakes out. Plates removed, painted the area. Drilled out the "missing" holes. Ready to put the plate back on after it dries.

Might be needing to shim the new motor mounts perhaps?
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby monzaaddict » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:52 pm

You shouldn't need shims unless the frame is spread. You said they took measurements so hopefully you are good. I would not use gm v8 engine cushions. They are a lousy design with air gaps between the rubber and the body of the mount. They will sag. Get Bob Gumm mounts or the mounts available from http://www.powerbyace.com/ . They have a lots of hbody specific parts as well as engine mount spacers.
monzaaddict

Postby Todd TCE » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:47 am

Ordered a set of Bob's. Thanks.

Anyone willing to comment on the choice of exhaust manifolds here? On the right we have what I think was in the car when it was stripped five years ago. On the left is one that the engine shop supplied as we could not find another. Willing to consider tube headers but honestly..this thing is just a cruiser. No hp mods. As for steering clearance I'm scrapping the damaged stock column and building my own with some Bogesons and some DOM tube.

Anyhow...looking for oe parts if anyone has a set perhaps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:27 pm

well, for starters they are on the wrong sides. What should be on the drivers side appears stock v8 monza. The other manifold which would then go on the passenger side is a generic replacement for a drivers side manifold so that is not going to work. Even if you get the generic passenger side replacement it will interfere with the ridge on the fender well below where the rear bolt of the upper passenger side control arm is. You are going to need a stock passenger side manifold. The stock manifold has a depression in it for clearance. I am sure someone on here has one available. Do you have the stock y pipe?

http://www.v8monza.com/faq-exhaust.htm

Do you have the correct pan, dipstick tube, water pump, pulleys, accessory brackets?
monzaaddict

Postby Todd TCE » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:55 pm

LOL...well at least I'm off the hook as I didn't assemble it!

Somewhere in my pile of stuff I have all the other parts. Of course I thought we had the other manifold too, so what does that say?

Pretty certain the flat one was stock as I found in upstairs. Finding the (now) Right side is my mission I suppose. Be happy to take a decent one off someones hands. Probably jet-hot them both for heat reasons and then yes; put them on the stock Y pipe. Which as the stock cat in it. Thinking of a new aftermarket one for that guessing this thing is likely not the best any longer.
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:43 pm

verify that these are correct before buying.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/75-80-Chevy-Mon ... ac&vxp=mtr
monzaaddict

Next

Return to Engine Tech