Coat Cylinder walls

Moderator: Moderators

Coat Cylinder walls

Postby dindin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:17 pm

Im assembling my motor after having the shop install new rings , new bearings, hone the cylinders and install new rod bolts..

should I coat the cylinder walls with oil or something while it sits for me to finish it up? ..

Its a Cosworth sleeved motor..

Al
dindin

Re: Coat Cylinder walls

Postby monzabug350 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:23 pm

Yes ( I hope you haven't installed the pistons yet) a coating of eng oil will do the job and a light coat of oil on the pistons will make installing them easier. If you are working from a bare block ( no crank or pistons installed) be sure to lube the bearings with a good "engine assembly lube" if the shop that did the work didn't include any with the parts.Just a light coating on the moving surfaces will be sufficient. If the engine is going to sit for a while,day,week,month,or what ever,make sure to turn the engine over by hand to fully lube all moving parts and prime the oil pump with Vaseline and fill the filter with oil to insure a almost instant pressure build up. Oh yeah,make sure to lube the cam journals and lobes with the assembly lube. This will go a long way ensure the engine will not hurt anything on initial start up. Another thought...is the cam new or are you using the original one? If new check the spec card to see if you have to perform a "break in procedure" this is usually means running the engine at a given rpm to let the cam and lifters "wear in" usually it takes about 15 to 20 min.or so. After that shut down and if necessary retorque the head bolts and as an additional check,pull the filter and cut it apart to see if any "shiny stuff" is in the oil. If not,install a new filter and check oil level and fire up the eng and set timing and carb to spec. that's about all I can think of now but it should cover your rebuild. Cheers!
monzabug350

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Postby dindin » Fri May 01, 2015 9:48 am

The machine engine builder installed everything in the short block, but did not want to assemble the engine (I guess engine builders don't make money putting engines together or so he says)..so im just assembling it together.. Just worried about letting it sit while I assemble it at a turtles pace..

The cam is stock..thanks for all the tips.

Al
dindin

Postby monzabug350 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:17 pm

dindin...I just remembered one more thing...If you have a shop near you that works on diesel engines check with their parts dept.to see if they have linen towels for sale.The ones I have used (don't rermember where I got them from) but they are about 5x5" or so.I used one with brake cleaner on a "clean"cyl.wall and was amazed at the crud that came off! Once that was done I used another one with oil to wipe the walls.These do not leave a residue like a shop cloth or a paper towel. If you don't have any luck with that try using an old bed sheet cut to a 5x5" square. And you can drop them in the wash and reuse them again. Cheers.
monzabug350

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Engine Tech