Head not lining up..

Moderator: Moderators

Head not lining up..

Postby dindin » Wed May 13, 2015 10:50 am

Ok so I finally got a chance to install cylinder head on my Cosworth and the head is not lining up with the the locating pins on the block correctly, Im using studs and if I remove the studs the head goes on easily, when I try and install the head with the studs in place its off about a 1/32", Im thinking either I file the pins a little or ream the holes in the head a little, or just remove the pins and install the head without them..

Any advice ??

Al
dindin

Re: Head not lining up..

Postby Kenova » Wed May 13, 2015 11:45 am

Have you tried installing the studs after you put the head on?

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby dindin » Wed May 13, 2015 11:58 am

Yes I tried to put head on first, The studs go in tight and cocks the head enough that it wont sit properly on the gasket... I also tried the factory head bolts and same thnig goes in tight, I think the guy who fixed some corroision issues on my head redrilled the holes slightly off.

Al
dindin

Postby cjbiagi » Wed May 13, 2015 12:38 pm

I would not mess with the locating pins, they are probably doing their job correctly. I would ream the holes for the bolts before touching the pins.
Last edited by cjbiagi on Wed May 13, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby dindin » Wed May 13, 2015 1:59 pm

Good idea Clyde, whats kinda strange is just the side that the locator pins are on have an issue with the the studs rubbing, maybe just take 1/16 off about an inch up should give me the play i need

Thanks Al
dindin

Postby hammerdown7 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:59 pm

The holes were re-drilled in the head? I agree with Clyde, ream the bolt holes, don't modify the locater pins. There is a small hole in the head gasket to restrict oil flow. If you move the head you are going to further reduce the pressurized oil flow. Also the Cosworth has some difficulty with oil draining back into the crankcase at higher rpms, moving the head will also restrict the size of the drain-back holes.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Monza Harry » Thu May 14, 2015 4:38 am

I am not trying to step on anyone's toes but I would flip the head over on the bench and find out which set is off, line up the gasket and see why the previous repair is causing you grief. Dick is pointing out some things I have never touched and know nothing about, and I would definitely trust him, but you stated that "a previous corrosion repair" was done, so I would bet that there in lies the problem not the stud locations as I would think that head has been on before and didn't need the holes opened up or they would have been that way already, concentrate on what has been changed and make that right. I figure this will be a chore at best as those dowel holes must have been moved during repair and that will affect that drain-back situation described by Dick (Hammerdown 7). Just a little bit of my experience, I hope this helps! Harry P.S. Dick can you post the size of that drain-back hole and maybe an old pic, to give him an idea what an unmolested head looks like?
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Thu May 14, 2015 4:39 am

I am not trying to step on anyone's toes but I would flip the head over on the bench and find out which set is off, line up the gasket and see why the previous repair is causing you grief. Dick is pointing out some things I have never touched and know nothing about, and I would definitely trust him, but you stated that "a previous corrosion repair" was done, so I would bet that there in lies the problem not the stud locations as I would think that head has been on before and didn't need the holes opened up or they would have been that way already, concentrate on what has been changed and make that right. I figure this will be a chore at best as those dowel holes must have been moved during repair and that will affect that drain-back situation described by Dick (hammerdown 7). Just a little bit of my experience, I hope this helps! Harry P.S. Dick can you post the size of that drain-back hole and maybe an old pic, to give him an idea what an unmolested head looks like?
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby dindin » Thu May 14, 2015 10:13 am

Well it seems the the arp studs are thicker than the stock head bolts and causing the head to shift to the side, I tried the factory head bolts again and they are tight because of dirty threads.

I though maybe the place that resurfaced the head drilled new line up holes, but thats not the case.

The studs measure 7/16 and the stock bolts are 3/8 diameter..I am thinking to try and find some new head bolts rather than open up the all holes which would require a machine shop.

Thanks Guys

Al
dindin

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:29 am

Maybe you have the wrong studs, both of my engines have ARP studs, for the head and the mains.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby dindin » Thu May 14, 2015 12:52 pm

yes the studs are correct..my head must be off a little and the bolt is a little bigger so its causing me problems, if i put the factory bolts in I would never have noticed, I need to find some new bolts and forget the stud idea.

Al
dindin

Postby dindin » Fri May 29, 2015 3:11 pm

Well I got some slimmer shank studs from ARP and during head torque down I pulled a thread..decided to just redo all the threads rather than risk another bad night..new bolts $135.00 Timesert thread kit $432.00 old bolts that did not work ( and I cannot return cause I threw away the bag with lot number on it) $130.00..Time spent too much.. :bang:

Al
dindin

Return to Engine Tech