motor/ radiator centerline

Moderator: Moderators

motor/ radiator centerline

Postby jim327monza » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:46 am

In reading through posts relating to cooling issues, I have noticed several that suggest that the motor is offset to the passenger side or that the radiator is offset to the drivers side or both. I put the bob gunn motor mounts in and don't know how much this off set should be. I am planing to put in a griffin radiator when I put the 327 in and would like to have the alignment issues at least straight in my head so that i can make the necessary corrections before or during the changeover. I noticed the offset while fabing a shroud for current motor( factory 4.3 v-8). This is my first h-body build and I am still learning about them. Should have mentioned 76 monza 2+2.

Thanks Jim H.
jim327monza

Re: motor/ radiator centerline

Postby chevyart » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:54 am

all the v-8 engines are offset aprox 1 1/4" when using the aftermarket engine mounts and hooker mount. a homemade engine c plate or race engine plate could put the engine dead center in the car. i would say to use the mounts you bought, put the radiator in where it is cantered in radiator support, and make your fan shroud to be centered with the center of the waterpump shaft. no big deal. thats what i did when i made my shroud. it will work out just fine. art
chevyart

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:25 pm

I don't know about the aftermarket mounts but the stock V8's are offset toward the passenger side by 3/4". This is more for clearance issues than anything. If you have headers clearance can be very tight on most brands especially on the passenger side. So, you may just want to get everything installed and then see where any clearance issues are and adjust accordingly. 3/4" toward the passenger side should be a good place to start though.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby jim327monza » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Thanks for the replys. Car is at the frame shop trying to get the front end straighten out. I am waiting to hear back from Griffin about the radiator. I don't know if part of the offset is due to frame issues , motor mounts factory position or all of the above. As clyde points out the factory offset is 3/4. Mine is closer to the 1 3/4 that art mentioned. Once I get the car back from the shop, I will remeasure, see where i'm at and go from there. As i'm using gen 3 camaro exhaust manifolds i don't think clearance should be an issue. I have not decided whether to use a mechanical fan or an electrical fan Once I have all the new stuff in I will mace that decision.

Thanks Jim H
jim327monza

Return to Engine Tech