Coolant in oil

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Coolant in oil

Postby buddyleejjc2 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:14 pm

A few questions. How many miles were on the engine? Did you have any head work or block work done? Did the engine have the little tubes in the header that stick into the head for the PAIRS system? Was the PAIRS system removed but the little tubes stayed in? On torquing down the head, was it just one bolt that slipped? (Since you are tearing it down, I strongly recommend putting in studs!) Did you use high compression pistons, or have any other modifications from stock, like 're- indexed cams? A few answers to these questions can help identify the culprit. Thanks ,
John J.Cowall
buddyleejjc2

Postby dindin » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:47 am

[quote="buddyleejjc2"]A few questions. How many miles were on the engine?

( About 40,000)

Did you have any head work or block work done?

(I had the block sleeved about 30 years ago and it was also patched on the side. )

(Recently I had block at machine shop, they cleaned block new rings bearings and polished crank and lapped the surface..)

(I also had the heads redone, new valves guides ect and some slight corossion repair, the said it was pressure tested multiple times during the process.)

Did the engine have the little tubes in the header that stick into the head for the PAIRS system?

(I removed pairs and little tubes .)

On torquing down the head, was it just one bolt that slipped?

(It was one bolt that pulled out , so I redid all holes with time serts and studs.)

Did you use high compression pistons, or have any other modifications from stock, like 're- indexed cams? A few answers to these questions can help identify the culprit.

(ItS got 8.5 compression and I did the re-indexed cams and new webers)

Thanks Again Al
dindin

Postby buddyleejjc2 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:10 pm

How much coolant got into the oil? Was it a 50/50 mix when you took it apart? I saw pictures from somewhere yesterday. Any way to post the pics again? Or e-mail them to me at buddyleejjc2@hotmail.com ?
Thanks,
John J. Cowall
buddyleejjc2

Postby buddyleejjc2 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:11 pm

How much coolant got into the oil? Was it a 50/50 mix when you took it apart? I saw pictures from somewhere yesterday. Any way to post the pics again? Or e-mail them to me at buddyleejjc2@hotmail.com ?
Thanks,
John J. Cowall
buddyleejjc2

Postby buddyleejjc2 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:17 pm

Al, Where do you live? If you don't mind me asking. Also, I am intrigued by the " slight corrosion on the head and repaired" part of your answer. How did they repair it? I have heard of shops that will "coat" the head with a type of epoxy, and that failing, causing coolant leaks. This just happened to a CVOA Member about 2-3 years ago. Any pictures to post on the exhaust ports? I would like a few pics of the top the engine also after taken apart, and the Crushed side of the head gasket, where it mates to the cylinders.
Thanks, John J. Cowall
buddyleejjc2

Postby buddyleejjc2 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:18 pm

Al, Where do you live? If you don't mind me asking. Also, I am intrigued by the " slight corrosion on the head and repaired" part of your answer. How did they repair it? I have heard of shops that will "coat" the head with a type of epoxy, and that failing, causing coolant leaks. This just happened to a CVOA Member about 2-3 years ago. Any pictures to post on the exhaust ports? I would like a few pics of the top the engine also after taken apart, and the Crushed side of the head gasket, where it mates to the cylinders.
Thanks, John J. Cowall
buddyleejjc2

Previous

Return to Engine Tech