Buring a lot of oil at idle ?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Buring a lot of oil at idle ?

Postby avewhtboy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:45 pm

cammerjeff wrote:
avewhtboy wrote:just pull that turd and put and LS1 in it

Rick, I don't mean to offend you, but commenents like that really turn me off, I don't find them helpful to the original poster. I like to see something different being built and the 215 Buick or Olds is a nice package in a Vega or Astre.

Yes a LS engine is hard to beat but I get really bored looking at 50 modified cars at a show and 99% of them have the same powertrain set up.

It was just a joke I should have put the J/k but didnt think about it until after i posted it! I like to think Dwight knows this as well as he posted. I really don't care what motor he has in his car its his car!

I just want him to be able to enjoy driving it and hope to see him with it at an autocross or show soon!

ps what happened to you Saturday for the run up in the mountains? Dwight?
avewhtboy

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:47 pm

If one lets themselves get caught up in the "Horse Power Wars" the ancient little Alloy Olds/Buick quickly gets left behind for sure, it just lacks the displacement to compete, [even with the Rover parts] but like Dwight pointed out the rest of the car will need some expensive upgrades. That is all and fine if that is what you are looking for, but the Old Alloy engine is a pretty good match for the H-Body platform as it came and is very well suited to the balance of the car. I looked at the LS and the 215 conversions for my car but I was/am way too deep with Gen I SBC to change ships at this point with out a lottery win! Jeff have you been working on your Astre or ignoring it like I am mine? :cry: Dwight likes and is familiar with those motors and they really suit what he does, and wants to do with his car! H :censored: l if I lived with roads like that I would have a blast right up to the point when I went to far.! And that day would surely come and the faster the car the sooner it would come! Dwight keep us apprised of the situation, and share some more Over The Road Vid's for us city dwelling flatlanders! :mrgreen: Harry
Last edited by Monza Harry on Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bugdewde » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:38 am

I'd love to do an LS swap but I'm digging the 215. As mentioned, I like "different".
......... and I have 3 more of them lying around (Buick versions).

Like Harry mentioned, I gave up on the ancient HP wars years ago. Not gonna get caught up in that. Lol.... everyone asks me what I've done to the LS2 in the GTO. They scowl when I say "nothing, all stock". I refuse to get caught up in the search for 10 - 20 more hp. 400 is plenty. Now, I don't have a problem with "upgrades" when items need replaced (ie cam, intake, valve/head, etc). That's what we call it in the Jeeping community..... Jeeps don't break, they provide an upgrade "opportunity".

No new news on the oil burning. Been toiling with other things. Currently trying to get the clutch kit/master/slave/radiator swapped in the beater Miata. ...... it has a rallycross event next weekend.

As for the north Georgia cruise, I completely forgot about it, Rick. We went to the last farmer's market of the season in downtown Knoxville to get some goodies. Funny...we live near farms in a rural area and we drove 30 miles to the heart of the big city, parked and walked downtown to get some spaghetti squash, fudge and a few other items. Women???? Lol.....
Hope Sparky (Ryan) continues to get other cruises together. I miss hanging with like-minded car guys. Probably best. Besides, I would have been smoke-screening the whole group....... 'skeeter killer. Hey, the grocery getter might have a new nickname!
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:37 pm

Here let me fill in a couple of blanks you left in that statement Dwight! [high lighted in Red]
bugdewde wrote: That's what we call it in the Jeeping community..... Jeeps don't break, they provide an upgrade "opportunity"$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I miss hanging with like-minded car guys. Probably best. Besides, I would have been smoke-screening the whole group....... 'skeeter killer. Hey, the grocery getter might have a new nickname!
That is priceless I had a 1974 Plymouth "Vomit" [Valiant] that could have acquired the same nickname! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bugdewde » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:54 pm

OK.... been doing a little investigating on this issue the last few days. Check this out.

Pulled the plugs for a compression test. Found the rearmost plugs (# 7 & 8 ) stupidly fouled. Caked up with an oily, hardened carbon goop.
Driver Plugs 1 3 5 7 small.jpg

Passenger plugs 2 4 6 8 small.jpg

With all the plugs out, I do a compression test on each cylinder. 8-10 engine revolutions each test, and each test was repeated. All were between 140-155 psi. I took video of the worst plug's test (#8):
https://youtu.be/yjf35Z4i2AY

The gauge stayed steady afterwards .... but I didn't let it set more than about 3-5 minutes between tests.

Gonna try to clean them and check spark back there.... see if it helps.
Gotta autocross this weekened.... lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby avewhtboy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:00 pm

thats nothing some Anti foulers cant fix lol

I am glad to hear your bringing the Vega to Summit this weekend????
avewhtboy

Postby bugdewde » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:03 pm

New plugs helped..... lol.
Still a 'skeeter killer, but I'm gonna load it up in the morning and haul it down with Wracker and Dan Larson ('69 BB Camaro). It might not run, but it might if they need some 'skeeters killed. Lol.
We should be there around 2 or 3 tomorrow if all goes well. Can't wait to see you guys again.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby bugdewde » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:59 pm

OK..... so I pulled the heads off this oil burning Olds 215 to swap on a set of fairly low mileage (2k) Buick 215 heads I had done about 10 years ago.

Here's some pics with the heads off ..... definitely burning oil.... as if the earlier videos didn't tell me that :lol:

Driver side head:

Head Driver side.jpg

Driver side pistons:

Pistons Driver side.jpeg

Passenger side head:

Head Passenger side.jpg

Passenger side pistons:

Pistons Passenger side.jpg

Here's a shot of the pistons once I cleaned them with parts cleaner and an old T-shirt. They cleaned quite easily except for a couple that had some more solid/granular carbon buildup that took some hard wiping and spraying to clean up.
Cleaned pistons.jpg

I'm going to admit some really rookie mistakes here:
After cleaning everything up and putting the Buick heads on the Olds block (have to use Buick pushrods for correct length), I put the head bolts in loosely (with much difficulty) since I didn't have the torque wrench on hand.
1. Installing pushrods without removing the rocker shaft assembly isn't as easily done as I thought, dumbass. They kept falling out of the lifter and generally not cooperating with me as I lifted the head for each pushrod ...... several times. Once I realized I could bump the engine over a bit to get the lifter "down" , the pushrods went in much easier. Lol.
2. Sitting back and looking at my completed swap (minus the head torque sequence and intake)..... I glance over at the box of gaskets/parts..... only to realize I didn't install the NEW HEAD GASKETS !!!!! Really? Remove everything, dumbass.
3. The alternator attachment bolts suck.... especially since the Buick heads didn't use the same holes as the Olds. Meaning they were full of dirt/debris. Requiring a removal (again) and cleaning out.
4. I removed the exhaust manifolds from the head in the car because I didn't want to jack it up and undo them at the down pipes. Besides, I wasn't 100% sure the exhaust ports between the two different type heads were at the same angle (Buick semi-hemi head, Olds wedge type). So having the manifolds on the downpipes and in place would quickly determine if I needed to go to the muffler/exhaust shop once the swap was complete. Luckily, everything lined up. Not so luckily, the manifolds were in the way of several head bolts upon removal/installation ..... requiring some real fitment issues .... and a ratchet strap for some redneck engineering to hold the manifold down and out of the way. Lots of grunting and cursing on this part..... Lots.
5. Having the ratchet strap ratchet mechanism up against the frame rail doesn't allow you release said ratchet strap.... requiring a knife to cut said ratchet strap.
6. Forgetting to remove the masking tape that holds the head gasket in place while positioning the head with no dowel pin or alignment pin to keep the head gasket in place ..... after installing all of the head bolts (untorqued) really sucks. Loosen all the head bolts again and lift the head up to remove tape, dumbass.
7. Finding all these mistakes AFTER installing valley pan gasket with rtv sealant requires you to scrape off and reinstall said sealant .... several times! Dumbass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby avewhtboy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Hey Dwight sorry to hear you had to do the same job 3 times but thats normal for us shadetree Vega mechanics I would imagine.

Did you get the engine started up after all that ? Hows it looking?

Me and Adam will be up Thursday afternoon/evening for weekend events

Look forward to see you and see the your car run!
avewhtboy

Postby bugdewde » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:45 am

Not yet..... head bolts gotta come out.... AGAIN...(not torqued) they require sealant since some penetrate water jackets.
As do exhaust manifold bolts (yea!... they're not installed). Valley pan gasket and intake.... then torque. Pick up my torque wrenches last night from old house.

THEN..... chase down the fuel pump issue. May just run an external one under the car until I can figure out the wiring fiasco. Previous owner put a dash mounted fuel pump rocker switch ..... which may contribute to the in-tank pumps flaking out.
My current firewall mounted pump (emergency use only) is powered by what I thought was the electric choke wire (like my hatchback) and it vapor locks with heat ..... AND shuts off with the wipers on.????? :lol:

Just get me through this race and I'll give it some good love over the winter. Yeah, right.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby bugdewde » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:58 am

Only update is a couple of the head bolts won't align due to interference with the manifolds.
Gotta pull the manifolds from the heads AGAIN!

Dwight

bugdewde

Previous

Return to Engine Tech