coolant in oil no compression

Moderator: Moderators

coolant in oil no compression

Postby jim327monza » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Even though this is my first attempt at building a n engine , this pains me to confess ! when reassembling the engine I forgot to torque the intake bolts. When filling the radiator , I noticed a small leak the water pump and one corner of intake. Tightened every thing down finished filling the radiator no more loss. Installed plugs distributor ect. Turned the motor over, Nothing! motor turned over but would not start. Checked spark, gas, valve timing all good . Checked the compression, zip nada nothing across all cylinders (sbc 327). second check with a different tester same result. when I drained the oil in preparation for pulling the timing chain cover, I found the coolant in the oil. So, what are mu options at this point? Could the coolant keep the rings from seating resulting in no compression? Is it worth putting in fresh oil and rechecking the compression? Or do I bite the bullet, pull the motor, tear it down and start over? As always, all thoughts, comments, and suggestions are welcomed .
Thanks Jim H
jim327monza

Re: coolant in oil no compression

Postby cosvega76 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:17 am

Jim,

You didn't say how much coolant you found in the oil, but I doubt that is your problem. If you had zero compression in ALL of the cylinders, I would start by checking the timing gears for correct cam timing. Or you have all of the valves set too tight so they won't close. If those check out, then you'll need to pull a piston to see if all of the ring end gaps are lined up instead of staggered, although I would expect a very low compression reading instead of zero if this were the case.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby jim327monza » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:52 am

Chuck, I found about 1 to 2 cups of coolant in the oil. Although I am 95% sure that I set the timing chain correct, I planed to pull the cover to check (that is when i found the coolant) , I still plan to do that. If i understand correctly, the valves too tight would would mean too much lash adjustment not letting the valves shut completely ? (flat tappet hydraulic cam ). I went back and re set the valves 3 times and the last time only put in 1/8 turn lash. Possible bad valve job? (041 heads 190/150 valves) Back the lash out completely and try another compression test? How high should the compression read? Calculated CR at 9 to 1. While parts of this are frustrating, I am having a bunch of fun and learning a lot thanks to all the help from fellow members!!
Thanks Jim H
jim327monza

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:11 am

Compression will vary depending upon the cam selected but you should see at least 130-150 lbs. I have never heard of a engine with zero compression, sounds like something is not set correctly. If the piston is coming up the bore and you read zero compression either the valve is open or all of the air is escaping past the rings. Even with bad rings I would expect to see something.....The air is escaping somewhere, either past the rings, past the valves or the head is not sealing to the block.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:49 pm

I agree with what others above have said, if the rings were all lined up and valve were right I would be worried if below #70's of compression same with rings good and valves tight. That's a lot of air to escape out some very small holes in a very short time, I would still think at least #50's even with a huge overlap cam. The only time I have seen "zero" (10/20#'s) was with a single cyl. Briggs with both valves frozen [rusted] open "Full lift" [sub 0.300"] less than full lift will not turn over because the valves are stopping it from turning. I will, leave out the "Fully Ventilated Piston" scenario's. If by "Zero" you mean very little feel of compression you may have not prefilled your lifters as you may have thought you did [some don't fill as easily as others dependant on oil viscosity and oil hole placement in the can of oil] this would make any and all preload hold the valves open. Did you try a leak down test? You can also do this with out a gauge you will just use the adapter to hold air in the cylinder*. Then listen to intake then exhaust then crankcase breather and finally radiator, you are listening for escaping air, then add oil to the cyl. roll over the engine and repeat. This will allow you to help determine the source of the problem, valves [intake and exhaust] should be ZERO leakage as should the rad, breather will always have some but should be minimal on a fresh build [slightly less after the rings seat]. I would think that you will find a combination of valve timing and valve lash as your issue, this based on my early "Learning Opportunities" I never make mistakes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now onto weather to pull and disassemble and reassemble that will be first determined by the answer to this question, RED antifreeze, Start immediately Red [orange & Pink too] will attack your brand new Main, Rod, and cam bearings, minutes count! Clean them fully with a mild solvent Kerosene, Paint Thinners, Diesel (good choice), lacquer thinner would be my last choice but I don't know of any issues with lacquer and bearings then a final with alcohol. Green go through all of the other checks first and then reassess. Please Keep us informed. Harry *For air in the cyl. tests: https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and- ... 750866_0_0
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby jim327monza » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:15 pm

Ok green antifreeze. The cam manufacture (comp cam) recommends no pre fill on lifters, 0 to 1/8 turn preload and removal of inner valve spring for break in. Using a compression tester i get no reading
(i used 2 different testers ) . Currently 1/8 turn preload. Stamped steel roller rockers and push rods provided by shop that did the heads. My plan at this point is to pull push rods to verify correct length,go to piston 1 and reset valves to zero then check compression. If this produces any where near correct compression I'll do rest of valves and then do leak down test. If still no compression I'ii pull the timing chain cover to verify correct position. If that is right I'll pull the heads add go from there. I won't get back to the car until Friday, as soon as I know something I will let you know what I find.
As always, Thanks for the help! Jim H
jim327monza

Postby Kenova » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:51 pm

Setbacks like this can be disheartening, but when you get things straightened out you get a very big feeling of accomplishment.
Pleases don't ask how I know. :bang:

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Kenova wrote:Setbacks like this can be disheartening, but when you get things straightened out you get a very big feeling of accomplishment.
Pleases don't ask how I know. :bang:

Ken

And a grin that will p!$$ everybody else off and you will not give a D :censored: N! :th: :D :D :D Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby jim327monza » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:36 pm

Houston, we have compression!!! I started by draining the contaminated oil and filter. Put in 5 quarts fresh oil and new filter. used a priming tool to circulate oil to flush any renaming contamination. I pulled the pushrods to verify length (7 13/16) correct 5 to 1 rockers, all good. Backed off all pressure on rockers for cylinder 1, bumped the motor around , 90 psi. Let it sit for 8 hours no leak down. reset lash bumped around no compression. Pulled the timing chain cover ( this is embarrassing, see previous post when i said i was 90% sure i had the timing chain set right). Needless to say I reset the timing chain, had to get a magnifying glass to verify the correct key way on the crank sprocket . I now have 120 psi average across 8 cylinders. Drained the second batch of oil , refilled with fresh oil and new filter and break-in oil. I need to put the intake back on, retime the distributor, ect. I have a long weekend next week and plane to use the time to finish putting every thing back together and try to get it fired up. As always, Thanks for all your in put. I'll let you know it goes next weekend.
Thanks, Jim H
jim327monza

Postby sirrick4 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Great to hear Jim. I guess I've been guilty of overlooking simple stuff sometimes. It can be annoying. Hopefully all will go well for you from now on.
Rick ......1975 Monza 2+2
sirrick4

Return to Engine Tech