Engine install don Hardy mounts

Moderator: Moderators

Engine install don Hardy mounts

Postby 71 notch » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:15 pm

Hello I'm new on the h body form, over the weekend I tried to install my 350 into my vega using don Hardy mounts, I have a milodon oil pan it's for the Vega conversion I had nothing but problems, I used about 1/2 spacers to lift the engine up and the oil pan just rubs the center tie rod and I might have damaged the passenger side rubber mount!! I love this little car some much but I'm upset I've tried all kinds of different things!! Has anyone had this issue???
71 notch

Re: Engine install don Hardy mounts

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:00 am

I don't remember if Hardy mounts are side- or front-mounts. I had Hooker mounts early on, and had to make a 1 1/2" spacer as the rubber mounts deteriorated and flattened to keep the oil pan off the steering. I found some no-name side mounts later on that I had to cut up and re-weld to get the engine where I wanted it.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 71 notch » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:32 pm

Okay I was thinking of making some plates out of 1/2 inch and bolt them to the engine and then drill and tap the holes about 1/2 inch or 9/16 lower then bolt the rubber mount to that way it lifts up the engine and it's the space that I need!! Gonna try the idea this weekend hopefully it works these little car's take some engineering to get everything to fit and work right!!! It's not as easy as people say it is. It's definitely not a slap in deal even if you have the conversion kit
71 notch

Postby Smiley » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:49 pm

I have Hardy mounts on my 73 with only the stock shims and it clears a V8 Monza pan.
Are your factory 4 cylinder shims still in place ?
do you have a picture or part number for your oil pan ?
Smiley

Return to Engine Tech