The 151 is worthy I think?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The 151 is worthy I think?

Postby NixVegaGT » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:56 am

res0o7eb wrote:No 151 stroker, yet Nix. WARNING, lame excuses follow. :cry:
I think of this thread as a 'plan' for an engine build that anyone who is interested can do, follow and/or contribute.
Perhaps when I actually do something other than researching and buying parts, I'll start a thread in the Project Journal. 8)

LOL! Thanks for the update, Tom.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Kenova » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:15 am

OK, so I'm sitting there reading my Car Craft mag and BANG! it hits me right between the eyes
A) the 151 has the same cylinder spacing as the SBC (4.4") with a four bolt per cylinder head bolt pattern.
B) the LS series of engines has the same cylinder spacing as the SBC (4.4") with a four bolt per cylinder head bolt pattern.

So, the question now is " how close are the cylinder head bolt patterns between the 151 and the LS engines?"
Any LS head would really wake up a 151 if it could be made to fit.
Other possible problems (other than bolt pattern) would be the cam (different sequence of intake and exhaust lobes/valves) and a coolant outlet and thermostat.

If someone else has already mentioned this, break the news to me gently. :lol:

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby Kenova » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:55 pm

A bump for the curious and discussion. :mrgreen:

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby res0o7eb » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:28 am

You are a pioneering thinker Ken.
Yes, the old school small-block Chevy head has been grafted on to a 151. There are so many good heads out there.
Even if the bolt spacing of the head and block matched, there is still the problem with big-block Chevy intake-exhaust pattern of the LS head.
As you mentioned, a different cam would be needed.
I am not sure if a regular cam core for the 151 can be used to make a custom cam for this application. Interesting ...
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby Kenova » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 am

Did the Pontiac heads have the same valve sequence as the Chev head?

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby res0o7eb » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:59 am

Kenova wrote:Did the Pontiac heads have the same valve sequence as the Chev head?

Ken
Yes.
res0o7eb

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Kenova wrote:OK, so I'm sitting there reading my Car Craft mag and BANG! it hits me right between the eyes
A) the 151 has the same cylinder spacing as the SBC (4.4") with a four bolt per cylinder head bolt pattern.
B) the LS series of engines has the same cylinder spacing as the SBC (4.4") with a four bolt per cylinder head bolt pattern.

So, the question now is " how close are the cylinder head bolt patterns between the 151 and the LS engines?"
Any LS head would really wake up a 151 if it could be made to fit.
Other possible problems (other than bolt pattern) would be the cam (different sequence of intake and exhaust lobes/valves) and a coolant outlet and thermostat.

If someone else has already mentioned this, break the news to me gently. :lol:

Ken

Ken , where have you been? :whack: I've known of this company for 20 years............................ :lol:

http://www.kansasracingproducts.com/Kan ... lcome.html

Need big bucks to buy their Pontiac block though.......................... :hail: :hail: :hail:

Seen a dragster with this combo run 8's back in the 90's.

Doug in Az 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby Kenova » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:59 pm

:th:
I've known about them for a while now, but $3500.00 for a four cylinder block doesn't strike me as being much of a deal. If I had that kind of money for a block I'm sure I could cough up another $1500.00 for an aluminum Dart V8 block.
Like so many others I'm just looking for a cheap way to do something different. A Mercruiser 181 with a LS head on it should move a Vega a little better than the 2.3. With some skillful scrounging a person may be able to toss one together on the cheap, assuming the bolt pattern is close enough to work. What does a billet 4cyl cam cost? :rolleyes:
The Merc, being a marine engine, may have a thicker deck than the 151 which may make it possible to re-drill the deck for the LS bolt pattern.
Just thinking out loud (sort of) :mrgreen:

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby res0o7eb » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:35 am

Kenova wrote:Like so many others I'm just looking for a cheap way to do something different. A Mercruiser 181 with a LS head on it should move a Vega a little better than the 2.3. With some skillful scrounging a person may be able to toss one together on the cheap, assuming the bolt pattern is close enough to work. What does a billet 4cyl cam cost? :rolleyes:
Ken
To get something better than the 2.3 SOHC Vega engine, try a 2.0 DOHC Vega engine.
Kenova wrote:What does a billet 4cyl cam cost? :rolleyes:
Ken
I think you may be on to something there Ken. Check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHiNx80BQfA - and read the comments. Not cheap and they don't mention where they get the cam ground and what is involved to do the development work. But, it's a start.

I am interested in a custom cam - certainly for the SOHC Vega and DOHC Cosworth Vega because there are none out there.
There are many videos on cam grinding. 8) I could watch those all day long. :D
res0o7eb

Postby monzabug350 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:16 pm

If you are set on a 4banger,have you considered the Eco tech eng? Looking at price and availability of speed parts it looks like the way to go,you can even get a supercharger package for it from a chevy dealer that bumps the hp up to 200 plus,and would give you decent mpg,and good street manners.plus you could beat up on ricers. If you are interested try www.quad4rods.com,they specialize in Ecotecs and "other"4 bangers.They have speed parts and adapters to mate the eng to most manual and auto trans,good luck on your project.
monzabug350

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Re: 151 Weight = 355 lbs

Postby res0o7eb » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:22 am

monzabug350 wrote:If you are set on a 4banger,have you considered the Eco tech eng? Looking at price and availability of speed parts it looks like the way to go,you can even get a supercharger package for it from a chevy dealer that bumps the hp up to 200 plus,and would give you decent mpg,and good street manners.plus you could beat up on ricers. If you are interested try http://www.quad4rods.com,they specialize in Ecotecs and "other"4 bangers.They have speed parts and adapters to mate the eng to most manual and auto trans,good luck on your project.
Yes. An Ecotec is a good choice for a swap into a H-body. We discussed that a bit in this thread 3 years ago. I don't know if tailsideup ever started a Ecotec Swap thread here in the Engine Tech forum. Go do it and post your ideas and research there.

I recently purchased a complete carb-to-pan 151 that came out of a 77 Sunbird. Here's a pic of it showing a 'fish scale' weight of 350 pounds fully dressed less the torque plate/flywheel and fan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
res0o7eb

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:44 am

Cool you got the chrome valve cover. Both of mine just had a blue one. A circle track racer told me the non- cf head on these motors is actually the one you want to port for racing vs. the later cf.

The ecotech is a strong motor... The ecotec cobalt I drive daily really has some pull for a 4cyl. Nice passing gear.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby cammerjeff » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:20 am

I have never seen that Lower Alt brace before!!!! But my 77 duke was an A/C Cal. Car with Pwr steering, the Altinator actually drove off the power steering pump, and the A/C pump was on the passenger side, but still did not have that long lower brace.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby res0o7eb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:19 am

Jeff,

Yes, it is a bit odd. Same as on my 77 Sunbird - garage.php?mode=view_image&image_id=4383
I haven't checked, but I think it takes up space normally reserved for a bell-housing bolt.
res0o7eb

Postby cammerjeff » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:16 am

It looks like it makes Changing the fuel pump even more of a PITA!!!!! I just had to deal with the Motor mount. I still have Chrome 77 Valve cover off my Astre if you are interested. These are about the only pic's I took when it was mostly together and in the car. I sold the head off it last fall, but still have all the brackets, and the valve cover. But I think the brackets are heavier than what you have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

PreviousNext

Return to Engine Tech