350 Olds in Starfire

Moderator: Moderators

350 Olds in Starfire

Postby analogkid455 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:06 pm

Has anyone heard of this swap? I have a 350 Olds that is just sitting around. So I thought for a good daily driver with a good power/weight ratio the Starfire would be perfect! I plan on using a 2004R tranny with some 2.73 gears for good gas mileage. The 350 Olds is fairly stock with headers, RPM intake and # 5 heads which are the best flowing factory small block heads Olds made. Compression is 9.5:1 with a slightly bigger cam than stock (204/212). I also have some aluminum heads I was thinking about using for weight savings. I am sure the headers won't work so I guess I go custom there. A/C would be nice but power steering is a must. Power brakes, I can take 'em or leave 'em. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

There is a guy with a Starfire with a small block Olds in it but, it is a tube chassis car. It runs 7.90's in the 1/4 mile. :shock:

BTW, What do these cars weigh?????
analogkid455

Postby res0o7eb » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:42 am

Go for it. Not sure if anyone has tried this particular swap. There is not much out there, if any, to do this swap or any non-Chevy V-8. Do it to be different.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby res0o7eb » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:48 am

Somebody claims to have an Olds 350 in a Vega.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/car/214938157.html

Pictures of the car are here:
http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/File ... US&lang=en

image 38 and 44 show the engine compartment.
res0o7eb

Postby analogkid455 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:41 pm

Thank you very much. I didn't think I would find many people, if any at all, that has done this swap. If anyone else has any info, please share. :)
analogkid455

Postby starfire383 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:21 pm

If you can't build your own headers, it may end up cheaper to go buy a SBC and install it. $1k for custom headers is not at all uncommon.

Similar deal with the brackets. If you can't locate the PS pump to clear the steering box with some conbination of factory brackets, then you're off into chrome billet at best, or having a shop mill custom brackets at worst.

I've met alot of oddball swaps in my life. And usually when you get into them they're either half-azzed, or the owner ended up spending so much more that they could have bought a "normal" engine, swapped it in, and had what they were using still sitting on the stand.
starfire383

Postby res0o7eb » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:08 pm

starfire383 wrote:I've met alot of oddball swaps in my life. And usually when you get into them they're either half-azzed, or the owner ended up spending so much more that they could have bought a "normal" engine, swapped it in, and had what they were using still sitting on the stand.

To put an Oldsmobile engine in an Oldsmobile car is not an 'oddball' swap. The point is to be different. What is 'normal' anyway? There are plenty of half-assed SBC swaps. There are plenty of good ones, too. It would probably be a LOT cheaper to buy someone elses well-done SBC conversion at 1/4 the actual cost than to do it yourself - if one was looking to go 'cheap'. Again, that isn't the point. Dare to be different.
res0o7eb

Postby starfire383 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:20 pm

Actually, in this case, and olds in an olds is an oddball swap. Never factory offered, and not supported by aftermarket swap parts. There's just as much support and parts availablilty if he wanted to put in a 331 hemi or a 460 ford.

Dare to be different is a great motto. Just been my experience that most swaps of this nature are often not undertaken with eyes wide open, and the end result is "dare to be half-azzed" or "dare to be expensive"

Seen bunches of homegrown swaps, most were hack jobs. I have no idea of analogkid's fabrication ability, but it's a daunting task to do it right. Just trying to state what hadn't been stated yet in this thread...starting with what you got may not always save money over buying new from scratch.
starfire383

Postby analogkid455 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:17 am

I can fabricate anything I need, wether it is metal or fiberglass, so I don't have a problem there. I have an Olds Omega with a big block Olds in it and it isn't a hack job. It looks factory for the most part. I had to do some fabbing on the headers, accessory brackets and I had to make brackets for the aftermarket aluminum radiator with electric fan. I also converted to rack and pinion to get headers to work. It runs 11's in the 1/4 and it is basically a W-30 rebuild. I like fixing the factorys mistakes! :lol:

From the pictures, it looks like Vintage air would work and definately will have to go to rack and pinion to fit headers. I think the power steering pump will fit especailly with the R&P steering. Power brakes might work with a small booster.

I guess the oil pan fits without issue. If not it can be modified. Anything else I need to consider/look out for?
analogkid455

Return to Engine Tech