zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Monza

Postby zeke » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:55 pm

First time I've painted cloth material, feels a little rough but sure looks better and saves hundreds of dollars.

Second coat on all the interior parts except the large rear panels, that quart of SEM went quick, back for another. :bang: The seats could use more anyways.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:56 am

I found that the Suretex flexible texture material does not work well on inside corners - it likes to shrink and lift away from the substrate. I decided to chemically strip the console tray as I was not happy with the result. I then bead blasted it to clean it right off down to bare plastic. After all that, the screw hole repairs lost some of their bond to the plastic so I epoxied some very thin polystyrene strips on the back side and sanded down the edges. It should be much stronger now. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby lleelduo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:20 pm

looks good. I had to do reinforcement on mine too. Mine has the wood grain so everything had to be done on the backside and not harm that faux wood/vinyl.
Larry Leitz

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari sport wagon
1969 Chevrolet Impala SS 427 convertiable
2016 Chevrolet Volt
2016 Chevrolet City Express
lleelduo

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby zeke » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks Larry, done with painting for a while.

Carpet trimming underway! The ACC carpet may be die-stamped but certainly isn't die-cut.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:32 am

Nice restoration work on the interior parts. Good luck with the ACC carpet, maybe it will fit your car better than it does the 75's. I am still trying to get some wrinkles out and get it to lay the way I want. I would gladly pay double for a carpet that would actually fit right and not be shipped all scrunched up in a little box.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby zeke » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:44 pm

Thanx Clyde, I'm anxious to stuff it all back in the car!

I think the carpet is going to fit my 79 floor pan well.

I plan to install the center console, then the seats before I trim the door sill edges.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby lleelduo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:00 pm

That is how I did my ACC carpet. I let it set out of the box for a couple of days before I started fitting it. It layed out just fine then.
Larry Leitz

2016 Chevrolet Volt
lleelduo

Postby zeke » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:39 pm

I like your pedals Larry, chrome accents look great!

Your just going to have to cut out your floor pan Clyde and weld a newer one in. :lol:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:29 pm

I did request they do not trim it as I was not happy with my first ACC carpet being too short up on the firewall. The one I have now goes all the way up to the steering column. Larry, did you trim yours that short?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby lleelduo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:44 pm

mine was plenty long. and I have it tucked way up under the steering column /carpet retainer I had plenty but mine is the VEGA style I don't know if that made a difference. Zeke if you like the pedals my project board has the detail on what I used.
Larry Leitz

2016 Chevrolet Volt
lleelduo

Postby zeke » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:18 pm

lleelduo wrote:A little detail I always hated, even back in the 80's, THE OE GAS PEDAL IS TOO SMALL! While I had things apart, I thought it looked like the F body gen 2 gas pedal was the same mounting. I ordered one from Classic Industries. Sure enough it was. I also ordered the clutch pedal pad for the Firebird with the muncie 4 speed, to use for the brake pedal pad. Add the chrome trim, and you have the OE custom pedal package.

I like it! May do that sometime in the future, the pedal is tiny.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby lleelduo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:12 pm

Was one of my complaints when they were new. thats why i changed mine.
Larry Leitz

2016 Chevrolet Volt
lleelduo

Postby zeke » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:10 pm

Can't find the top plastic piece for my gas pedal so I may be off to the scrapyard for a Camaro pedal.

Carpet mostly cut into place except the door sill edges. A few wrinkles here and there but I know some tricks to try.

I'm still waiting for the upholsterer to finish the front seats. He has the bottoms redone and they look sweet.

Console tray isn't detailed yet but I had to lay the pieces in for a look.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Monroe lift supports 901163 work to hold up the hatch but don't have enough power to open it.

They are smaller in diameter and you have to swap over one ball mount end. Oh well, they were cheap and are better than a 2 by 3 lol

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/m ... /overview/
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby waybad » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:47 pm

nice work!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Tinker
waybad

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals