zeke's Sport Coupe

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Sport Coupe

Postby zeke » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks eh! Here's a newer pic, vacuum from carb base is teed off to feed pcv valve and thermal vacuum switch for EGR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 pm

Nice to be driving an old car again! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby SOLSAKS » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:40 pm

nice car
i always liked the sport front end

there is a green 1979 Z28 on ebay for sale now
it has similar exterior and interior colors

thanx for sharing these photos.

dave in NC :D
SOLSAKS

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Hey Zeke, Do your fender badges say V6 3.2 Liter? I can't read them very well in the pic's. Just curious since you have the I4. Also in the original pics you have of the firewall it was covers in a bunch black crap. What was that and how did you get most of it off? I the final pics you firewall is all green, looks nice, just wondering how you got whatever it was off without damaging the paint underneath.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:49 am

Thanks Dave!

79MS - One of the previous owners stuck V6 badges on the car along with the Pontiac radial tuned suspension plack on the dash. I'll be removing them eventually. That's why I figure the Spyder emblems were prob just added too.

Walmart 3$ a can oven cleaner, a lot of scrapping and pressure washer to remove the undercoating from engine bay. Took two days but worth it imo. Let oven cleaner soak for a couple hours, scrape then pw, repeat as necessary. I used 8 cans. Undercoating is for under the car. lol]

OE steel fuel lines were causing vapor lock with today's low octane fuel so replaced them with rubber.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:05 am

Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby SOLSAKS » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:41 am

i just noticed in the last photo posted
that this car still has the black plastic air deflector under the front of the car,...

wow,.....they did not usually last thru the first month of ownership !

...or at least got ground off over a short period of time by scrapping pavement in driveways/entry ways.

i found what i figured to be the last one on earth when restoring my 77 coupe
it was NOS on ebay.

nice photo.
SOLSAKS

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Thanks for refreshing my memory Zeke, I do recall reading your post when you first got the car about the badges. When I start my build I will try the oven cleaner trick.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:32 am

Thanks Solsaks! My dad shot the pic with his new S8 and it made car of the month over on FB.

I put 342 miles on it this weekend driving to the Monzaque and back home. No issues! :D The 4 cyl econobox gets 29 miles per US gallon. :th:

It's fun to drive around, I get a lot of looks, thumbs up and comments. I need to get back to work on the Red Monza because 85 horsepower just isn't enough. :lol:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:17 am

Still having vapor lock issues so the car is getting converted to an in-tank electric fuel pump like the rest of them.

Retrosound radio installed, nice unit with tons of features. Once I'm sure the radio is good, I'll modify the shafts so the factory woodgrain D shaft knobs fit on. Retrosound sells woodgrain knobs but they'd cost a small fortune by the time they got here.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Kenova » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:37 pm

The Retrosound in my Nova has plain chrome knobs. If you wanted to trade you could put some wood grain vinyl on the plain knobs. :mrgreen:

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby gerbsinmd » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:26 am

I wonder if you could cut down a V8 Monza upper hose. It looks like it has the same bends as the universal one you have. The V8 upper may need to be shortened, but it looks like it may work......
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby zeke » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:27 pm

I noticed that the Vega 140 upper hose with A/C looked very similar, so I ordered one. It will work but came with a slice in it so Rockauto is sending another. :D
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:42 pm

I was still having vapor lock issues even after I re-routed the fuel lines in rubber. Low octane fuel in direct connection with the hot block/fuel pump combined with high ambients was causing car to have issues. I decided to convert the system to electric. I had another junk sender that I got the insulators, brass pin and wire from.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:56 pm

The factory uses the same rear wiring harness so the output of the oil pressure switch is already at the tank. That saves some work but still need to change the switch to the 3 pin version and tap into the S wire going to the starter solenoid or it won't prime the carb while cranking. (diagram in wiring section here). It works and runs fine but need another hot day to see if the problem is cured. I stuck the original steel fuel lines back on the engine and plugged up the inlet line to the pump.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals