FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:44 am

~ Nix the charcoal canister conversion..It didn't leave enough room to install the washer reservoir, so, I opted for the more modern, much smaller, vacuum "ball" style. All the vacuum lines are fresh and now in place.
~ Epoxy repair of Coolant overflow tank did not work, so, I re-melted the crack with a soldering iron and sealed it up. Seems not to leak now.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:44 am

~~A few more random progress pics. The car is presently up on jacks awaiting the temp exhaust setup so we can connect the dash harness, check out circuits, and crank it...
~ install the doors, hatchback, hood, and send it for paint....sounds simple...not.
Attachments
Frontshot.jpg
Frontshot.jpg (226.02 KiB) Viewed 58 times
Washreservoir.jpg
Washreservoir.jpg (219.56 KiB) Viewed 58 times
Batteryarea.jpg
Batteryarea.jpg (242.7 KiB) Viewed 58 times
Topshot.jpg
Topshot.jpg (236.76 KiB) Viewed 58 times
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:57 pm

Looking good, hope you are going to install a cowl/hood seal to keep your interior cool. With no seal engine compartment heat will be drawn into the interior through floor vents. I know a guy who makes them LOL. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Attachments
cowl screen.JPG
cowl screen.JPG (77.42 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby hammerdown7 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm

I wonder who that could be! LOL

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:47 pm

Just trying to keep everyone cool! LOL Seriously, I took the cowl seal off my car to help alleviate some engine compartment heat. It worked great! Unfortunately all the heat ended up in the interior and I was sweating my ass off. I quickly reinstalled the seal. That's how I discovered where the floor vents get their air from.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:00 pm

Funny you should mention the cowl gasket as Jon and I had discussed it earlier..but thanks for the reminder.
~ The exhaust manifold turndowns seem to be complete and ready to install. The major difficulty was that the lower of the 3 studs coming off of the manifold flange was hitting the frame area of the lower control arm and provided no clearance for the flange to be installed. This area had been "massaged/dented" but it wasn't quite enough. We cut 1/2 inch off of the flange stud and used a grinding wheel to remove the raised area of the cast flange to make it flat. With it being flat, it allowed clearance for installation. I understand that the new cast flanges are flat with no raised portion.
~This would not have occurred if we had used the Power by Ace motor mounts as they come, but we cut those mounts and re-welded them a full inch forward to AVOID having to cut the shift linkages, cut the drive shaft, cut the torque arm. dent up the fire wall at the bellhousing. We did have to cut the excess half inch off of the water pump for clearance with the e-fan.
~ Next step will be to attach the temporary flex pipe with a temporary muffler so we can crank it.....after electrical checkout.
74_Vega_GT

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:54 am

If you, or anyone else, needs a cowl seal I will be making them again in mid March. $39.95 + $6 shipping within the States. These come with 5 new "T" clips installed ready to install in existing holes. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:17 am

Thanks for the offer, I am not sure where my cowl gasket has gotten off to, I haven't seen it lately, so I will probably take you up on that offer.
74_Vega_GT

Previous

Return to Project Journals