zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Monza

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:58 am

Great job Chris, nice stance and nice looking ride.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:27 pm

Thanks Brian and 79MS

I like the stance too but unfortunately it isn't going to work out. Decided to put it together with the orig v6 A/C springs and see if I got lucky.

A couple major snags to deal with:

1) Noise in neutral, pedal out, maybe input bearing, Muncie will have to come out, used trans, was told "just been rebuilt" :rolleyes:

2) Car sits too low and uneven in front, need to install a 1/2" and a 3/4" spring spacer before I can get an alignment

Still needs finished:

A/C system

Change ignition cylinder

Have hatch lock cylinder re-keyed

Trim more off drivers door panel card

Body, paint, decals & emblems

Door rubbers

Stereo

bla bla bla
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:17 am

Looks like most other GM's use a different diameter coil spring so I'll go with rubber spacers instead of aluminum to correct the front ride height. H bodies aren't listed in the lookups of course but I did find some specs for the coil springs.

The Spal fans make a lot of noise but sure cool the car. Going to switch to pulse width modulators instead of relays for fan control. These Hayden units get the best reviews.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:05 am

Speedometer didn't work because there was no drive gear on the main shaft and trans was leaking oil bad so decided to haul it out and fix it. The Muncies have no front seal and instead depend on a flanged nut to keep oil in trans. It was installed backwards on this used M20. New seal kit and parts on the way.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:33 am

Muncie rebuild continues

Found a broken slider and mid plate but fortunately I had both in stock. Also had the speedo drive gear.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:34 am

Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:55 pm

A 57 year old transmission ready to go back in
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:30 pm

Muncie back together

Edit: Trans mount on backwards
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Tranny back in, all gears sound good on the stands. Another road test shortly after I fix a couple other issues.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Kenova » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:04 am

:lol:
RTV on the counter shaft - been there, done that, got the T-shirt. :th:
What are you using the speed sensor for?

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby zeke » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:30 pm

Hey Ken, that is The Right Stuff and it's an amazing product. I also put some Loctite 515 on the case bore. The shaft wasn't sloppy, just don't want leaks. Still dry under there after a couple days. :dance:

The speed sensor drives the speedometer
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:01 pm

New ignition cylinder
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:36 pm

Nice drive around town tonight. Some of you may remember my cold air intake mod years ago. (page 11 & 12) A slight rub at full right lock. I will adjust it next time wheel is off. ;-)

205/60/15 15x7 w 3.7" bs
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Chief_Runs_W_Coyotes » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:39 pm

Hey Zeke that’s a great looking tire fitment. I’m going to have to read through these pages again and see how you got it to sit that good. The project is coming along great and good work on the tranny...right now mine seems to be fine but I know it’s a matter of time before I have to crack into it...after she gets some more power that is. At least I’ll have a solid reference so thanks for that!
1979 Pontiac Sunbird (currently undergoing restoration) with the old duke and a 4 speed
Chief_Runs_W_Coyotes

Postby zeke » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:03 pm

Thanks Chief, it's more of what I didn't do really. I put the V6 A/C springs back in just to see how it would sit rather than buy new springs only to find out it's too high. Doesn't bottom out but could be an issue if I weren't paying attention. I may add some coil spring rubbers to lift it slightly. I'm no transmission expert but been inside a few manuals before. Learnt a lot watching this guys channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/GearWorldTV

Rims: 15x7 3.7" bs

Fronts 205/60/15 Rears 225 60/15
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals