peterpans 72 vega

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby NixVegaGT » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:24 am

I patterned mine after Ray's. It worked out great. I took a different approach and sealed up the new frame rails by forming the pinch weld from the rockers to the new frame rail and welding the length. Then I cut a couple pieces of sheet to fit the floor under the front seats and welded that in. It was a lot of extra work but it really turned out. Being from MN I'm hyper paranoid about rust so I'm taking extra steps the whole way to avoid any posibility of it starting somewhere.

I also wanted to try the chassis foam stiffening trick and wanted a number of closed spaces to do that in... I'm also planning on flushing out the back foot wells with the new frame rails so I'll have more room for exhaust...

Here's a link to my Ray inspired frame rails:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894/6

I still need to add some later pix where everything is cleaned up. It looks pretty dirty in the build pix. In the end it was fun and I learned how to weld. Thanks Ray.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby peterpan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:54 pm

nics frame rails look awsome definitly worth looking at if you are thinking about going this way

after all winter sand basting and welding my under body and under hood are in primer just finished spraying it

now i'm waiting for primer to dry so i can sand the dust off the engine bay before painting it gloss black

that damm sand got everywhere just when i thought i got it all the paint gun found more

i was going to paint it all body color but that would of locked me to that color this way if i don't like the color or find a new color i can change it

pics soon
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

in primer

Postby peterpan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:51 pm

these are some pics of it in primer its painted black now but no pics of that yet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby peterpan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:56 pm

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby peterpan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:25 pm

started bolting the front suspension in today but not sure how i'm going to compess the springs yet
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby mldeolde » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:00 am

love your paint work!!!!!!!!!!!!! WANNA COME TO cALIFORNIA AND DO A MONZA??????
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby peterpan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:58 am

no but if you brought it here i would gladly help you do it
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby peterpan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:53 pm

i am starting to get excited again it all most feels like it did in the begining

my cars story sorry for the spelling and bad grammer

it all started when i seen a early vega here in town i loved the way it looked but i wasn't hooked yet
what cemented a vega in my mind was a baldwin motion super vega die cast car that i stumbled across in a hobby shop in salt lake city i bought it for 40 bucks and it was cemented in my mind i had to have one
i went to the local junk yard to get a wheel for my work car and asked if he had any early vegas just for shits and giggles but i'll be damned he said he had a few early 71 to 73s and a hand full of 74 to 77s and some astre wagons and monzas he took me around to see them i liked the blue one i said and asked how much 500 bucks he said i went home to think about it 3 days later i went back with 300 bucks and my tow truck made a 300 dollar offer and towed it home

started looking on the web and found v8monza with alot of good people and info then this site if it wasn't for them my vega would of been abandonded a long time ago thanks to every one who has helped with advice,info,parts and freindship

that was so much fun then i got a little burned out sand blasting the under body and engine bay i started hating to work on my car
but now i'm starting to put it back together with either brand new or cleaned and painted parts its so nice to see progress again

i spent about an hour sitting on a bucket looking at it the best hour i have had with it sence last summer
Last edited by peterpan on Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby peterpan » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:43 pm

bought more new parts inner and outer tie rod ends tie rod sleeves idler arm and center link checker had some of them in stock but they had to order most of them i'll see if they show up or not
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby peterpan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:11 pm

finnally back on all 4 tires

just finihed putting the rear end in

i just couldn't help myself i had to push it out side so i could stand back and look at it
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby bugdewde » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:20 pm

Looking very Baldwin Motion like......... I can see you getting excited again. Your work is awe inspiring. I can't wait to see it completed..... Keep up the great work.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby zeke » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:50 pm

Good work, can't wait to see er done! Love the 5 spokes. :D
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegafrog » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:12 pm

Yep it won't be long now! You'll start picking up steam on it! :D
A Little Chevy goes a long way!
vegafrog

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby mldeolde » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:27 am

YEA AND JUST IN TIME FOR THE SPRING THAW TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby peterpan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:10 am

its fun to work on it again instead of just pluging away at the crappy stuff that has to be done blasting sucked
i should have alot more done to it on my next days off

it feels good to show progress on it even though the doors and fenders are just sitting on it not bolted up its a roller again
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals