zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

zeke's Monza

Postby zeke » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:58 pm

Blog Index

1. Engine removal and bay cleanup
2. Lower cowl repair and bay painting
3. Engine bay and fender repair
4. Painting front end parts and engine test fit
5. Van engine removal, engine test fit, serpentine setup planning and engine assembly
6. Engine installation and serp setup
7. Cooling system planning
8. Cooling system planning
9. Cooling system planning and rad bracket construction
10. Radiator brackets, fan mounting and front end mods
11. Fan, rad, condensor installation, alternator mount, air breather mods
12. Cold air intake
13. Engine hookup and wiring
14. Shifter, Muncie installation, trans crossmember and remote released hood latch
15. Fuel system
16. Clutch covers
17. Gas cap and various planning
18. Dash restoration and mods
19. Indicator light box construction, gauge install and dash mods, wiper switch mount
20. Door planning
21. Instrument cluster, build sheet and various
22. Shell prep, rear spoiler repairs and urethane facia repairs
23. More urethane facia repairs and shell priming
24. Jamb painting and rear spoiler straightening/installation
25. Rear spoiler bodywork, pre-assembly coat and door blasting
26. More door work, new emblems, making new door panel bases
27. Door metal restoration and bodywork
28. Door painting, fenders, hood
29. Front and rear urethane facia finishing, bumpers, trim etc.
30. Door wiring tubes, parts, door planning
31. Front clip assembly and mods
32. More parts, window regulators, hood latch mods
33. Dashpad, interior, seatbelts
34. Painting interior pieces
35.Interior work, carpet install, hatch supports
36.More interior work, door assembly
37. Dash assembly, recovered seats,power windows
38. Power door locks
39. Hatch seal, door panels, power hatch release
40. Rear view mirror, Autostart, door switches, fuse center, QR Code sticker
41. Stainless steel bench top, battery terminals
42. Blower circuit, climate controls, hatch release button
43. Hot water shutoff, headlight discussion
44. More discussion - headlights, terminals, relays
45. Headlight installation and wiring
46 - 49. Delay wiper module R&D
50. Wiper system finishing touches, dual SS exhaust
51. Wiper module contruction, headers, visor decal repro
52. Side louvers, windshield, 5 bolt part gathering, engine initial firing, LED charge indicator
53. Steering column and rag joint refurb, adjustable frame plate mod, stock dipstick issue, brake lines
54. More headers, engine brackets, mini booster install, header spark plug wrench
55. Electronics, booster hookup, proportining valve refurb, turn signal switch, engine sensors, plug wires and looms, breather quik latches
56. Group 78 battery mod, more exhaust
57. Stainless steel dual exhaust, LED dome light
58. Exhaust, LED spyder emblem
59. LED spyder emblem, disassemble rear end
60. Rear end posi upgrade and 5 lug conversion, drum brakes
61. More brakes and 5 bolt conversion, new wheels
62. Brakes, 5 bolt, ECM, dash re-assembly
63. Windshield replacement, stainless brake flex hoses, dash parts, UMI rear suspension upgrades, brake master cylinder and linkage
64. More of the same, A/C hoses, light fixtures
65. Front and rear bumper installation, Eico air dam, A pillar trim refurb
66. A pillar trim, dash assy, interior plastics, rear window louvers
67. More nterior work, carbon fiber shift knob, new A/C compressor, new gas cap, customn made brake pin, hatch latch squeak stop attempt
68. M20 Muncie trans repairs, steering column work
69. Adapting CF shifter ball, tourque arm bushing, gear reduction starter, fuel line re-route and insulation, oil pan gasket
70. Rear main seal, cup holder, seat belt clip, fuel sender replacement
71. More fuel sender, charcoal cannister and tank vent, turn signal cancel cam, alternator and A/C comp. mounting
72. More comp and alternator, Spal fans, new vacuum line to dash, PWM fan controller
73. More fan controller, new vacuum ball, stereo
74. Stereo, spare tire
75. More stereo, calendar
76. Steering wheel refurb, sun visors, rear interior carpet side panels, amplifier power wiring, overhead head unit mount, seatbelts
77. Rear seat back refurb, tool box, refinishing of cowl area, custom cowl screens
78. Hydro dipped tanks, under hood detailing, cowl seal
79. Wiper arm fix, pictures
80. Hatch release solenoid, A/C, Power steering pump, blower motor, power window fix
81. MSD box, air breather LEDs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to the doctor the other day and he told me that I have a serious lack of horsepower complicated by some common blowby. The cure it seems is a complete motor/trans replacement.

While this isn't covered by my health benefits, I hope to make a full recovery very soon! :D

I'll post more pics of the treatment course as it occurs. Prescription calls for 76 350 4 bolt, forged trw flatops, cast 10/10 crank, line bored, precision balanced by Atchisons, 2.02 ported and polished heads, 8004 weiand intake, 4010 holley, crane .532/324 etc. Saginaw is getting replaced by an M21 Muncie 4 speed and I will hook up the stock shifter to it. Headers and duals may have to wait for a bit.

The clutch I pulled out looks good so it will be reused for now. Eventually planning on the lakewood bellhousing/ billet flywheel and hayes clutch deal.

Stay tuned....

Goodbye ugly blue motor! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zeke on Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:37 am, edited 9 times in total.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

where can I find that doctor's number

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:57 pm

:arrow: The sound of a chain hoist laboring under the strain of a 305 cid V8 or what ever you pull out is a sweet noise of clicks and chain slaping the inner fender panels to the beat of the hearts contentment. :arrow: that something "great" is on the way. Nice Doctor "advice"on cure for what makes a great recovery. Mike :idea: :arrow: Stay with the prescription and fill it regulary.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:45 pm

Scrubbed the bay down with varsol then sprayed a can of foaming degreaser on it. I let it sit for the night then pressure washed it. Came pretty clean, almost a shame to paint it all black but thats what's next. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Buscop » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:02 pm

What are going to do with that alternator mount? I'm looking for exactly that...selling it?? :lol:
Russell G Hilder
1949 Model Wife
1979 Monza Wagon
2007 Harley FLHTCU
2009 Dodge Dakota Laramie
Buscop

1979 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby zeke » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:01 am

Buscop wrote:What are going to do with that alternator mount? I'm looking for exactly that...selling it?? :lol:

Well, unfortunately Russell, I need it to charge the battery. :lol:

I do have a complete serpentine setup that I'd like to use off a 91 caprice but the p/s pump would be a problem. If I could cross it with vegatex's idea for the cadillac p/s pump, then I'll run that bracket down to u. :D
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Buscop » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:29 pm

Let me know what solution you come up with....should be interesting..
Russell G Hilder
1949 Model Wife
1979 Monza Wagon
2007 Harley FLHTCU
2009 Dodge Dakota Laramie
Buscop

1979 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

motor swap

Postby 79monztah » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:50 pm

Do you have stock manifolds and y-pipe on there? Thats cool your puting an m21 trans in it. Your engine bay looks good ,you should try to keep it body color instead of black. Keep up the good work.

Andy
79 monza spyder
79monztah

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Kenova » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:20 pm

Buscop wrote:What are going to do with that alternator mount? I'm looking for exactly that...selling it?? :lol:

Russ, if Zeke could send you a few photos of that alternator mount you should be able to fab one up of your own. Use 3/8" or 1/2" aluminum plate for the main mount on the front, and some steel strapping (or some more aluminum) for that extra brace running to the head.
Prototype everything with plywood untill it works, then transfer the pattern to the aluminum. Aluminum is quite easy to work with hand tools, and buffs up real purdy-like.
Ken
Kenova

Postby zeke » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:05 pm

I will prob use the stock manifolds and Y pipe for now.

Made a thread in the engine forum with the alt. bracket pics.

Engine bay is going black cuz the body color is going black also. First Spyder I ever seen was black with gold stripes so I want to replicate (clone? lol) that look.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:30 am

The sickly 305 went to the scrap matal yard yesterday and they gave me 20.50$ for my trouble. (block + 1.72 heads) I could twist one rod back and forth latterly across the crank journal about 1/16" so that meant the cubically challenged pos was near death ( fatal knock syndrome) anyways. I didn't get a flat in my van whilst there so I was happy. :D
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:40 am

When I originally looked at my Monza in South Carolina, I noticed that the front valence wasn't bolted up and couldnt be. Also a slight crease in the right front fender.

I thought it looked like it had been hit in the right side front bumper. Didn't look serious enough to break the sale.

I figured this was the time to fix this situation so I dissassembled the front clip. The front right frame rail has been twisted by about 1/16 of an inch which resulted in a bit of a curve in my condensor coil. I should be able to straighten it out tho and pressure test.

I can solve the problem without sending it to the frame doctor by elongating the bumper shocks holes and a few shims I think.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:19 pm

I'm cranking it real slow... Wish me luck! :lol:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby gerbsinmd » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:19 pm

Zeke,

I know my Monza has that same bend in the condensor, as has every other one I've taken off. I think they are supposed to be that way to get behind the grill support in the middle.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby zeke » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:35 pm

well it seems to sit better now anyways and will still clear the support bracket, i didnt straighten totally flat. It was touching the rad the other way and i didn't like that.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:41 pm

Taken everything out thats coming out, will tape up the rest. On to cleaning some more then scuffing.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Next

Return to Project Journals