zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Monza

Postby zeke » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:15 am

BadBowtie wrote:Great idea on the latches, I've used those before on a project and they have a nice feel to them, not to mention how well they hold down.

Thanx BBT! They also make larger ones for hood pins.

Dunno why I didn't think of this before. Beat the edge of the tray down with a long flat punch and there's tons of room for a group 78 battery.

I need to find some new fender bolts. :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:15 am

I have an Optima Red in my car Chris, and I put in the bigger one of their recommendations, Group 78/34 [800cca not the 720] and it fit right in, only thing was I couldn't use the "Optima" supplied hold down as ours isn't centred [really stands out in your clean and painted cars pic's]. I am now wondering if their were different battery trays for our cars and what criteria they used to choose which? Both of our cars are/were V6 A/C really similar options as I recall, that seems odd :? Harry https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/p ... &find=find First one upper left
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:45 am

Thanx Harry; The Red Optima G78 is a quarter inch shorter than the regular group 78, less casing at the bottom. Pretty sure all H bodies came with the same G75 tray. You could drill out the spot welds and stick an nos tray from a Camaro or something but waste of time imo cuz u don't see it anyways. I like the Optimas but it wouldn't fit my restomod theme of "how GM should have built the Monza 20 years later". :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Brad C » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:09 pm

More like 30 years later.... ;-)
Brad C. 75 Skyhawk, 70 Buick GSX, 71 Buick GSX, 87 Buick GNX, 2 86 Buick Grand Nationals and a host of other Buicks.
Brad C

1975 Buick Skyhawk

Postby zeke » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Air breather and serp system from a 91 Caprice, injection system from a 95 G van. Only thing that doesn't fall in the 20 yr period would be the GPS / GMRS interface box. :D

Wife hand buffed the drier with some Neverdull.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:06 pm

Underhood 99% done, ordered some new body bolts. Re-bent the hood prop rod and waiting for a buddy to send me the clip.

Time to build the stainless exhaust next.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Engine bay then and now. Two different 79's, same short block and 32 years. Exhaust work progressing slowly, it's going to be a challenge. :bang:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby dindin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:15 am

Looks factory, very nice.

Al
dindin

Postby zeke » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Thanks Al

After laying under the car several times and trying to visualize the system, I think I have it. Now to cut twelve pipes in exactly the right spot. Kit has enough bends to put both exhaust tips on the right side. Thinking I might order a couple 90's and arrange them in the usual configuration, (one each side) by running the left pipe back across behind the tank.

Pipe kit: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:33 am

Making progress slowly, one piece at a time. After looking at the back of the car and doing some thinking, decided to have both pipes exit on the right. Would look strange otherwise because the muffler bottoms will be visible. The Sanderson angled collectors work out nice because you can adjust it to point any direction.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:19 pm

All tacked together, will build the crossover pipe with O2 bung next.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Loving it!!
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby Brad C » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:18 am

That's some pretty TIG'ing there.... :th:
Brad C. 75 Skyhawk, 70 Buick GSX, 71 Buick GSX, 87 Buick GNX, 2 86 Buick Grand Nationals and a host of other Buicks.
Brad C

1975 Buick Skyhawk

Postby zeke » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanx RedFive; First exhaust job ever. I always paid people too much to not get what I wanted in the past.

Brad C wrote:That's some pretty TIG'ing there.... :th:

I don't have a tig Brad so not know what you're referring to. I just tacked it together so far, until I get it perfect then I'll mig weld it with some 308 stainless wire I bought.

Cool chart, the pipe kit, mufflers and cats I'm using are 409 SS. The U clamps, band clamps and hangers are 304. Grabbed some 304 SS at the Metal Supermarket to make some hangars and braces.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Brad C » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:26 pm

zeke wrote:Thanx RedFive; First exhaust job ever. I always paid people too much to not get what I wanted in the past.

Brad C wrote:That's some pretty TIG'ing there.... :th:

I don't have a tig Brad so not know what you're referring to. I just tacked it together so far, until I get it perfect then I'll mig weld it with some 308 stainless wire I bought.

Well, whatever method of welding you are using, it is beautiful!
Brad C

1975 Buick Skyhawk

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals