zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:27 pm

That Sucks Chris! At least your fix turned out well! Why don't these ever fit right, are there that many differences from car to car? Some post they were "Drop-in", and most seem to have to resort to fixes similar to yours. :bang: :cuss: Well you "have it on the ropes" keep pounding away* and please keep bringing us along for the ride. :th: Harry [boxing reference so, I followed through with the analogy, not a disparaging remark on your work sometimes you have to do what it takes no matter how much it hurts, those F :censored: g headers are premium Canadian bucks $$$$ us north of the border are painfully aware, and not so cheap south of it either! I would have been outraged :x :evil: ]
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:12 pm

Is there a reason you are using silicon instead of a header gasket? I didn't think silicon would hold up to the exhaust temps.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby zeke » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Thanx Harry; I was reluctant to do it but it isn't all that noticeable when everything is back in the car anyways. It was no surprise as I too have read the horror stories over the years and knew full well what I was getting into. I'll grab some pics of where the collectors come out, I like it way better than any other option.

Clyde, Permatex UB is good for 400 F and intermittent peaks of 500 F. Here's the installation card that comes with the headers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Had to rebend the compressor brace because of thinner header flange and number 2 tube. Also had to make a new one for the power steering because of the taller used valve covers I got a super deal on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:24 pm

Another 4 hours
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Brad C » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:06 pm

HEY!!! Your "710" cap is on upside-down....... :bump: :dance:
Brad C. 75 Skyhawk, 70 Buick GSX, 71 Buick GSX, 87 Buick GNX, 2 86 Buick Grand Nationals and a host of other Buicks.
Brad C

1975 Buick Skyhawk

Postby zeke » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:32 am

Thanx Brad 8)

Never really noticed before that the booster / MC is not only angled upwards but also to the left. The left hand bracket is slightly shorter to achieve this. Amazing the lengths GM went to to fit everything in the Monza.

New ebay 7" dual diaphram booster will gain 1.5" clearance to the tall valve cover. Grind rivets off and cut off push rod to re-attach. The booster to bracket holes had to be elongated just slightly because the studs are a bit closer together.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Mark in INdiana » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:23 am

Great project Zeke! Awesome documentation!! Much of what you have done applies to the 76 Vega project I'm gearing up to do. Kudo's!! On the new booster, do you know who made it and the model number or part number? Any specs or other pertinant information? Inquiring minds want to know! Thank you. Mark in INdiana.
Mark in INdiana

Postby zeke » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:23 am

Thanks Mark :D

I think it's just a Chinese part, several vendors on flea bay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_item ... Chevy+Ford

I bought this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Dual-Diaphrag ... 2794682566

Summit also has them for twice the money: https://www.summitracing.com/int/search ... 20Boosters
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:46 pm

The push rod that I cut off the donor booster is just the right size to run a 3/8" - 24 die over if you want to join it using a turnbuckle or coupling nut. The car has a spring on the pedal that pulls the pedal back up. The booster has the stop built in. I'm happy with the factory height of the pedal and don't need to adjust it or anything so I measured what length was needed and welded it on the the new booster. My dad taught me this old trick for welding two round pieces together - use something with a 90 in it to clamp to.

The rubber boot that comes with the new booster isn't long enough to reach the firewall so I opted to use the OE plastic tube. The mini booster has a larger diameter stamping at the back and the tube isn't big enough to slide over. I cut the tube at the red line so it would be a little longer and compress the rubber for a good seal.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:49 pm

I made a new firewall gasket out of a piece of black vinyl.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:10 pm

A few details to finish up but I'm happy with the clean look and the clearance gained with the 7" booster.

You thought manifolds were bad? Try Sanderson headers, ya cant get a plug socket on 6, 7 or 8 cyl. with cc13ap.

Middle 3/4" of a 12 point plug socket with a nice wrench welded on from the inside. Works very well
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Chris nice update, but I have to ask, did your new booster come with studs on the back or did you have to get creative? I could check out your link but future "Aficionado's" will want to know and unfortunately the eBay link will be dead shortly. I am sure this will be perused for many an "Info hunting trip" creative and other idea's. :th: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:33 pm

Thanks man, the first link is just a search results page so should always work. Yes, they have studs on back side for mounting.

Not actually correct but will work fine, there's supposed to be a 2nd pin for the return spring. Pushrod goes in bottom hole on pedal.

Thanx for the diagrams RedFiveKBS :th:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:38 pm

Side by side comparison
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals