zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Monza

Postby zeke » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Had to dig for these! The 85 & 86 trucks use a column mounted switch which is configured a little differently. Could be a challenge to make this module work with the older dash panel switch. Hopefully, the new module isn't epoxy encapsulated, then I can take it apart to see what's going on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Zeke of all the things they changed in the '80's the column mounted high beams and wiper switch are by far my favourites, the high beams would be tougher but the wipers would be just swap out the stalk and fish the wires through and WHAMO! an easy lovable up grade! Just a thought to kick around. You could use the dash opening for your auxiliary lights' switch. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:20 pm

Monza Harry wrote:Zeke of all the things they changed in the '80's the column mounted high beams and wiper switch are by far my favourites, the high beams would be tougher but the wipers would be just swap out the stalk and fish the wires through and WHAMO! an easy lovable up grade! Just a thought to kick around. You could use the dash opening for your auxiliary lights' switch. Harry

Your late, already kicked that idea around and decided to do it this way.

I believe the column is totally different from h-body and it wouldn't be that simple for hi/lo. Change the whole column out if you want that. You may want to price out those wiper switches first. $$$

I prefer dash mounted controls and am a fan of floor dimmer switches. Also, I'm trying to keep the interior as close to stock as possible with the exception of the gauges.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:10 pm

Installed a Ram X mount for my stereo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:03 pm

85 truck delay system
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:08 pm

Clever factory design!
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby chevyart » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:26 pm

zeke if you put the v-10 in your car, i think we can allot you another 50 pages. keep up the good work art
chevyart

Postby zeke » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:52 am

Thanx Art, I think the server can handle a few more kilobytes of my Monza madness. :)

I'd like to know how the wash function worked on the OE Monza delay wipers. On my 97 Buick, it initiates three wipes and my 97 Chev only two wipes. This is probably why the module needs control of the park switch ground in newer systems.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby chevyart » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:14 pm

zeke sounds like you have the ever inquisitive mind as far as these cars go. thanks for all your input in this h-body game we all play art
chevyart

Postby zeke » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:20 pm

Your welcome Art, I like to contribute when I can.

I could design and build a delay module but it's a larger challenge to make this system work with available parts. The tough part is all three pieces are not designed to work together. Waiting for the module to arrive now, if I can't make that work, then I will make my own.

I love a good puzzle.

Since the switch and module connectors are not available, I opted to solder wires onto the copper pins and use 9 pin Molex connectors.

Edit: Ended up designing a module and controlling the wiper motor with mosfet transistors. The switch only sees milliamps now and requires only 22 gauge wire.
Last edited by zeke on Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:18 am

Messed up my analysis, had to make a correction. The internal resistor is shorted out by the wiper switch in the off position, so the park function is low speed.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:04 pm

Interesting story on the guy who invented intermittent wipers and how the Big Three tried to screw him out of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:22 pm

zeke wrote:Interesting story on the guy who invented intermittent wipers and how the Big Three tried to screw him out of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns

There's a movie about him.. watch it............. :th: :th:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1054588/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_of_Genius_(film)

Doug in P.R. 8) 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby zeke » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:04 pm

I'll have to watch that sometime!

The new switch had to go in and out a few times before I got it in the right spot.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:23 pm

Quite the engineering project to get delay wipers. I sure hope I can find the OEM Monza switch, harness and box that's hiding SOMEWHERE in my garage. Because it's the only way I will ever have delay wipers. lol
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals