zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Monza

Postby zeke » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:55 am

74_Vega_GT wrote:Lookin Great Zeke. Do I see Spektrum radio box on the back shelf? I fly a Sonic Modell 1400mm Pitts Python bi-plane with AS3X and GPS telemetry- DX6, but, thats for a different thread.
Good luck with the Monza.

Thanks 74_Vega_GT

I fly collective pitch heli, here's me with a 450. I mostly fly micros as cars eat up most of my disposable income so can't afford to crash the big stuff. :lol:

Sourcing the 98 - 05 Blazer brake parts is proving to be more difficult than I thought. The E brake lever is NLA

The parts store has a loan a tool program, you pay for the tool, use it and return it for a full refund. They have slide hammers but no attachment for pulling the axle bearings anymore, everything is sealed hubs now. Will have to rig up something to extract them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Kenova » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:16 pm

Any chance that lever is the same in most other GM e-brakes of the same design?
A lot of vehicles came with similar brake systems.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby zeke » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:50 pm

Kenova wrote:Any chance that lever is the same in most other GM e-brakes of the same design?
A lot of vehicles came with similar brake systems.

Ken

The only way to purchase it was in a kit from GM that is NLA 88935980 or in a complete assy that is hard to find now. May end up doing the scrapyard thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:00 am

Ring gear swapped over to new carrier.

Decided to nix the rear disc brakes. It was a great idea ten years ago when the junkyards had lots of good parts, not so much now. What is there has been well picked over. The only usable parts would be the axle brackets and e brake levers. When I add up the cost of all the parts, it's hard to justify.

Going to rebuild my drum brakes with all new parts for about a quarter of the cost of the disc conversion. H backing plates aren't available so will refurbish them, they're in great shape.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:38 pm

New drums in stock at Carquest, axles look even now
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:46 pm

Backing plates got blasted, zinc chromate, enamel paint brushed on, baked for 2 hours @ 170 F and a final spray coat of black satin.

Glad to be finally doing the five bolt conversion, had some parts around for years.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:49 pm

More parts showed up today, waiting for others. Nice you can still get all this stuff relatively cheap.

Happy Halloween
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:23 am

Work continues on 5 bolt conv.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:25 am

A lot of scrapping / scrubbing, quart of varsol, many rags and 4 cans of satin black
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Kenova » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:39 pm

Dude! You're making me feel like an under achiever. :lol:
It's always good to see someone making progress.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:15 pm

Did you replace tie rod ends? Did they have zerk fittings on the ends? or on the side? An extra quarter inch on that fitting can make the difference on the amount of oil pan mod you may have to make. Good luck.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Thaks Ken, muzzy job that was. :cry: Three more cans of paint went on. Time for some assembly!

I'll guess 74 vega gt asked his question in the wrong thread.

Even more parts, 76 Nova front hoses and S10 banjo bolts. Stock Monza rear hose

Entire braking system will be brand new with the exception of the hard lines and prop valve.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Put the bearing in the freezer for a couple hours and heated the inner axle tube a bit. Easier to tap the bearing into place.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:50 am

Progress
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:31 am

Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals